Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a simple laptop that can browse the web via network in my home, maybe wifi setup for coffee shops etc.

This would be used for basic office products (access, excel, word), for quickbooks, and for web.

Any suggestions on products or locations? I've never owned a laptop.

Price is a huge factor, cheaper the better.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Well, what do ya know, thats my second biz.

Any preference to speed, ram or hard drive?

I've got some Dell C600s, some Toshiba 1800s, and a few IBM T20-T22s.

Bob

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I basically need a laptop for sitting on my sofa while my gfriend and I 'veg' out. I'm looking for something that won't freeze while working with quickbooks, and I need it to be able to get online. (wifi support)

I usually don't care about brands because most components are made in the same factories. If its referb, I will most likely not have a warrenty anyways.

If its good enough, I would also use it for estimations on the job site.

My laptop is:

P4 3ghz Dell Dual
1024MB RAM
127.95 GB HD
NVIDIA GeF FX 5200

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Most of what I get are P3s off corp lease. Nothing as fast as 3ghz. I stumble across a 2ghz and a little less from time to time, but not that often. I get between 3 and 400 for the the 700mhz to 1ghz and that's the majority of the tops I get. The 1 to 2ghz I get 4 to 600 out of, but like I said, I don't get many of those.

Bob

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I bought a Gateway 7330 at Best Buy a few months ago- wide-screen monitor, 3.2 GHz, 512MB ram, 40GB hard drive, wireless, DVD/CD-R, etc. for around $1,100. It's been great so far.

Bob

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My tv read this forum post and broke on me last night. :(

I may hold off on buying a laptop for a couple more months.

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
Jason said:
My tv read this forum post and broke on me last night. :(
lol
Damn, I hate it when that happens
It's always something
Well at least it didn't wait till after you bought the laptop

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use a Dell 700m. Cheap, Lightweight and small for great portability, and perfect for running basic programs and working on the web. Dell also has many offers throughout the month...I once saw this laptop for $850 after all the instant coupons.

Go Dell.

Jason said:
I'm looking for a simple laptop that can browse the web via network in my home, maybe wifi setup for coffee shops etc.

This would be used for basic office products (access, excel, word), for quickbooks, and for web.

Any suggestions on products or locations? I've never owned a laptop.

Price is a huge factor, cheaper the better.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
I, being the fella that works on them, have become fond of the Toshiba's. It seems other than a few models with minor design flaws, they stand up better to the abuse of every day use.

However the C series Dells are pretty nice, just hope like hell you don't have to split the base and pull the main board, pain in the ARS.

Also stay away from the Toshiba Pro 6000 and 6100. They have a common design flaw between the power board and mother board.

Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts