Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well you fellas know I repaired the Toshiba 2805 I picked up on ebay for 74 bucks, one of my friends said what the hell and bought 5 broke laptops 1 gig and less. I guess he's determined to test the limits to my luck.

So brake out the bets, 5 tops, all say motherboard fried, all parts present, I have 1 extra motherboard from another 2805 to steel parts from, whos got me down for 5 and 0?

I'm thinking I can hit 4 and strip the last to sell for parts.

Any thoughts?

Bob

Oh yea....one more thing......the way this ebay things been rolling, I'll bet half of the tops just have software issues.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another update,

I recieved the laptops today at about 5 from fedx.

I have two toshibas up and running smooth as silk......HD problems on both.

I repaired one Dell inspiron 2500 and have it running fine, however the previous owner has a HD lock on it, so I may need to spend a little time with that one.

The only pain in the a$$ unit is an IBM thinkpad, it's about time that baby went to the parts pile.

Pretty cool ah fellas? For a builder I mean.

From 2x4s to microprosesors......Super Glass

Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Who are you on ebay? I'll look for your ratings. I'm 66Beezer but also only a buyer. I'm going to have to become a seller soon as my 'bought' pile and 'accumulated' pile are getting pretty significant.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:
Another update,

I recieved the laptops today at about 5 from fedx.

I have two toshibas up and running smooth as silk......HD problems on both.

I repaired one Dell inspiron 2500 and have it running fine, however the previous owner has a HD lock on it, so I may need to spend a little time with that one.

The only pain in the a$$ unit is an IBM thinkpad, it's about time that baby went to the parts pile.

Pretty cool ah fellas? For a builder I mean.

From 2x4s to microprosesors......Super Glass

Bob

I'm seriously impressed. You should drop me an e-mail with some specifics on the laptops. I am in the market for a simple word processing laptop, for in the feild estimating. That is if you havn't sold them already.

[email protected]

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ha! another one bites the dust fellas!

I just fixed an IBM thinkpad t20. I'm on it now for the first time.

This is a cool little unit that should bring about 400 bucks.

It's only about an inch thick with a great display.

I keep wanting to sell my 2805 and keep one of thease I've fixed..........na, can't part with the old Toshiba.

Bob

Dam! the little monsters pretty fast too!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Bob, are you putting these units back on e-bay, selling them locally or what? I'm in the market for a 'previously owned' notebook.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm putting them back on ebay after I send them to the test lab, (my friends 9 year old son). If he can't break it, it's a hell of a unit.

Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Glass, haven't seen you around very much. I assumed that your frankenputer turned on you. LOL :cheesygri

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I still have my desktop, think I'm going to sell it. The unit I use now is a 2805 I keep fit as and running strong.

I havn't been around because between laptop repair, trying to keep jobs rolling, and helping my buddy with his house I don't get much time.

I'm sure glad I quit drinking, seem to be getting a lot more done.

Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Man...I wish I read this 2 days earlier. I used to buy damaged laptops, desktops, etc off of ebay and fix them and give them to family or resell them cheap. I just scrapped a bunch of parts (funny how quick computer components lose their value!) because I'm moving. I would have just given them to ya. But, computers are my business (software development) so if i come across any 'firesales' I'll let you guys know...

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I missed your reply here dgrabs, yes, keep me posted if you run into anything.

I just recieved 3 shippments of 14 tops from a corp sell yesterday and day before. Most are 900mhz but there is three 1gigs. So far I've got 5 900s running strong, 1 1gig running strong and 2 900s running strong but waiting on small misc parts. Not one would even post on arrival........who da man?

I'm a stinking machine baby!:cheesygri

Bob

·
Registered
313 Posts
Glass didn't say what he did to get them running but I got a good guess from the corporate environment I work in. We trash our old equipment. (I talked the IT guy into giving me an old machine for my girls to use.)

Our computers get replaced as they become outdated and slow because of our need to transfer digital photographs, but honestly, that's nonsense.

Usually the operating system becomes bogged down and worm eaten with viruses. F-disk will cure that. Then mainly, pc cards may need replaced and drivers updated.

My only expense for my girls' machine was to subscribe to drivers.com for updates. I already have a copy of Win 98, which is good enough, and still supported by Microsoft.

Glasshousebltr, you furnish an OS? Or do you just clean up the hard drive and remove spyware, adware and viruses?

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Most all the units have the code key on the bottom, Plus I have all the OSs on disk, so I delete the old partition, format and start a clean install. Up to XP I have to seek out a device driver once in a full moon, But XPpro is the T&A of OSs. I think XPpro will recognize my moma.

Oh yea, one more thing, I don't know if youd want to give one of these to your daughter, unless she's a young adult, I'm getting between 3 and 5 hundred for them so far, and the pro 6000s may bring a little more.

Bob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts