Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are doing a remodel and ran into some certainteeds 5" reveals 3' long. Just wondering if anyone knows when the switched to metric sizes? Thanks

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
There may be a region that still has the English Landmarks available. The original Landmarks had a dark black shadow much like the older Accessory ridge cap.

What I know is the Shakopee plant which is said to make the most CT shingle of any plant does not make English Landmarks.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
We are doing a remodel and ran into some certainteeds 5" reveals 3' long. Just wondering if anyone knows when the switched to metric sizes? Thanks
Ran into this a few times now. Good time to get a new roof. :thumbsup:

Do you have to match them in or can you tear off a section and shingle new?

They really don't blend at all because they fade, they are different size, and the shadow is different. If you have to put them close, hopefully it's in a hidden area and the HO knows about it.

We matched them in and left a 5" reveal with the new landmarks on the front of a local business. The owner was being a cheapo, so we just did it. It faces a busy road and doesn't look too good. Luckily it is far enough from that road to just barely notice. Up close it looks like ****.

United Products is probably the biggest supplier near you, and I know they don't have any english Landmarks left.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The remodel was adding a 24' on to an existing gable using the same size trusses as original.The roof was in great shape so we just snapped all every reveal and ran the metrics at 5".

The color seemed very close, but the old ones (weathered wood) had less blue in them. Anyway the roof was high off the ground and with 6/12 pitch so we're all good:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
You gotta do what you gotta do. Sounds like you got it done.

The toughest addition to date was tieing into CT Hearthsteads. The contractor I did the addition for bought Hatteras as they have four tabs and we ran them with a 5in exposure were they tied in. It was a dormer off the back of the house (four season). What also made it tough was that it was a 12/12 2 stories up. Oh, and it was middle of Winter. It's been a while but I think we actually ran the Hatters's at the regular exposure on the dormer to blend in the shadow lines.

Could have done what adjusters claim they now want to do with matching the Hearthsteads, cut down 3 tabs. This would only work if you cut them down tab by tab.

I've done a few tear offs with the English Landmarks and they sure tear up nice. The ones we did from hail damage were hardly damaged at all and they came up in huge sections. We had to stop and rip the shingles or we could have taken each piece off at once.

Back 6-8 years ago there were no other laminate shingle that compared. I do like the new ones as they are AR and the tar is on the bottom side. Also like that there plastic wrapped and bigger.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love landmarks too.

We had a hail storm 2 summers ago. Everyone in the town got a new roof, almost all landmarks.

We did one job with timberlines. It was nice nice to see a new color but it seemed to me they lost granules easier.

My favorite roof we did was landmark tl old overton. They just draw your eye in:thumbsup: great shingles even for 185$

·
Registered
102 Posts
Funny you say that, the TL's are great lloking shingles. I am in the middle of my firts time laying these shingles. They are uncommon in thuis area, so I am pleasantly surprised at how much texture they have. I will say coming out of the bundles they have alot of memory do to the extra thickness. We are laying Shenandoah, very unique color. Payed $144/sq. and I would say worth every penny. The H/O(my wife in this case) is very happy! So that is good news for me :thumbup:. Been doing cut valleys. Oh, one thing, they call for a 5 5/8 exp, if I went with that, I would be up over the but line, and almost to the nail strip. Been laying them @ 5 1/2 exp.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Those Shenandoahs are wonderful looking shingles. We've put down about a half dozen in that color and they look great. Have also done Cumberland, Burnt Sienna, and Black. My first TL install was on a new roof in 04. The home owner ran the job and he said he got them for $90 a square. Last roof was almost double that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts