Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I was browzing the internet to try and choose a very durable laminate at an affordable price. I came across a site eurolaminate which supply a laminate called classen at only 1$/square foot. The warranty is 25 years and it looks very durable. Whats you take on this stuff. Anybody out there with indepth knowledge on the subject and/or past experience with it. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Generally, you get what you pay for. Enough said.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More to say

W-e-l-l there is much more than just that. I know of some places where I can get the same exact thing for half price (same brand, same stuff). Like buying an item at wal-mart as apposed to a privately owned small retail business. Wal-mart buys it in such great bulk that's why there able to drive out the competition so well. The place here buys theres all direct and certainly this would reduce prices some. The name brand not being well known might make it go down some even though the wear rating etc. are the same. So you really have to elaborate much more that just "you get what you pay". Besides all that if the warranty doesn't last I can always turn it in. Every decision is much more complex that just a sentence in my opinion. Thanks for giving an opinion though. Anybody else want to get in on this would be great.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Classen is an o.k. floor. All laminate manufacturers have a good, better, and best in their line. I happen to believe that Classen's warranty is a bit too high for their ACTUALL quality.
Formica had the same kinda deal, and they are no longer in the business. I think Classen will go down the same path.
Can 1$ lam perform? sure it can...but it is not as durable as products that have a better core, or are high pressure, or made by a company that has been around as long as their warranties.
I have seen Classen delaminate and scratch way easier than other brands of the same type quality over the years, so personally I am going to go with Wilsonart Duolink, if I want to save money on a lam.
I also need to think about what kind of ABUSE I will give it, because warranties do not cover ABUSE. I have 3 roudy kids, and I need all the help I can get, so honestly, I am not even going with Duolink, I will pick Estate in the Wilsonart line, because I need it.
But for some peole, the $1 lam can be o.k. for them.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey I never said it was easy I just said it can be done. Of which it certainly can be. I might have to put up with some company junk first but I believe in the end I will get what I want. Have you qyes personally seen the 25 year warrantied well known brands outperform the 25 year warrantied classen. This is from your own personal experience or do you think it is impossible to get quality at a dollar a square foot.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I think it is possible to make a buck a square foot last, but not without help from the consumer.
Usually the worst you get with a buck a square foot, is really bad milling. Planks may be hard as heck to get in, and they gap quite a bit after install.
Plus tounges crackling because of breakage is another big problem.
I think if anyone pays under 2 bucks a square foot and certainly between a buck and a buck fifty, should be aware that, to make the floor last a long time, they need to buy extra, use area rugs, and take their shoes off as much as possible, trim the dogs nails or keep them out of the house, and do not set massive weight on it.
I know that Pergo Living is still installed in Sweden after 20 some odd years, and is still performing.
Anyone who wants the least amount of scratching, the best protection, and warranty's that are resonable for the quality, should buy higher end goods. Yes Pergo, Wilsonart and Armstrong have been around a long time, and some other brands are good too.
Does that mean that a buck a square foot should never be sold? no...but clients need to be informed of the quality...it should not be told it is the same as Pergo or whatever...because it most likely is not...plus it is too generalized.
I can make a laminate and slap a huge warranty on it...right?
so can you....
yes, some cheaper laminates can be the same as branded ones, but not all.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quiet fuzzy, Classen is what i work with, the pics I posted couple of weeks ago were also Classen > : ), and i have yet to see a problem w/ it. Krono is in the same price range, but it isnt as good, not bad either, its just Classen looks more realistic.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Good one, but what you do not know, is I sold laminate in Oregon for 7 years, recently. I know about pricing, and my opinion stands.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Besides, Oregon is in the middle of BFE too, laminate on the east coast is much cheaper.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Tuman said:
Besides, Oregon is in the middle of BFE too, laminate on the east coast is much cheaper.

:) o.k. now were getting pretty specific huh?
Let's just say it's possible to get a quality lam for a buck a sq foot if you live a couple blocks away from the manufacturing plant :)

I saw the pics, very nice looking floor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts