Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure this has been asked 100 times, but Im looking for some fresh answers. Curious to see what guys are charging for a licensed insured contractor to install laminate floor. I've heard that a couple established local companies in my area get $3/sqft, and Ive lost a couple jobs when I quote at that price.

I know it varies per situation-I do a lot of remodeling so it would have to include baseboard removal/install, jamb cuts, and shoe install. Im looking at an 800 ft job right now and I dont want to lose it! I cant run with the joe blows who have zero overhead and no license- but Ill lower it to be more competitive.Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Your question is the perfect example of why pricing questions don't work. Guys in New York would probably go broke charging that while here that's just a tad higher than I would expect to be charged.

·
Registered
333 Posts
"but Ill lower it to be more competitive" this is where you will get into trouble.

The guy coming in at a very low price does so because that's his business model. He knows once he has his foot in the door he has a captured audience, and will charge for extras, e.g. cutting jambs, , base removal, moving furniture, etc.. These guys are shrewd and sleep comfortably at night knowing their game is ambushing their victims. I see it all the time with bathroom remodels. They come in low and knock their victims over the head for plumbing, electrical etc.. Issues that I know need attention and will be upfront about, but these guys act as if they are surprised when they present it to their victims.

You need to explain exactly what your price includes to your customer and emphasize they need to compare apples to apples if they are shopping price.

Look, some consumers are just fixed on price and will go for the bottom feeder, you can't justify your price to them, but many people want a good job first and are willing to spend the money if things are explained to them.

Sell your potential customer a good quality job, don't lower your price to meet the bottom feeder.

·
Super Moderator
10,605 Posts
Pricing questions of this nature are not allowed on Contractortalk. This has been covered hundreds of times. Too many variables.

This thread has been closed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.