Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I don't know about Krono series laminate.
what do you want to know?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wondering what the quality of the Krono is. I found a store for $1.19 per sq. ft. Of course, the store personnel said that it was excellent quality.

Florcraft said:
I don't know about Krono series laminate.
what do you want to know?

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
excellent compared to what? That's the question you want to ask. It is impossible for a floor that price can be excellent. Maybe o.k. quality, but bottom of the barrell plain and simple.
You can't buy a new Lexus for 10 grand. But you can buy a used ford.

It's funny cause Home Depot will sell you carpet, and on the back there is a label, and I see 45 ounce nylon carpet, and I will look at the label, and it is rated the highest for wear. And the funny thing is, is that label is THEIRS! THEY made it! If 45 ounce nylon is rated the highest, then where would the rating be for a 70 ounce nylon? Off the charts! But they don't carry it, so the 45 ounce is the highest they got. It's false advertising if you ask me.

Same with this lam, I guess this is the best they got, cause why would some dude say it was excellent.

remember...compared to what?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Where does the short bus stop? Does anyone actually believe that they are going to get quality at $1.00 sq. ft.?
Flor, I don't know if you can relate to this but I get about $10+ a sq. ft. for an installed laminate floor. I am nearly always working on slabs that need to be leveled. I put down 2 coats of concrete sealer (water table is only a few feet down here), vapor barrier + pad.
I have also developed a laser level for flooring applications. The beam can originate at 1/32" from the floor but 1/16" is much more practical.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
for the best laminate available, and the best installer, 10 bucks will get you there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
quality

Actually u guys are wrong about thinking that you wont get quality for $1.00 / sq.ft.

May i ask, how much and where do you buy your flooring? you dont have to tell me the store name, just online/ retail store/ and how many branches they have around you?

Home depo for example has a HUGE amount of expenses that are built into every single item in their store.

Online companies basically run an office and a warehouse, some drop ship and dont stock anything and have minimum orders. Others stock and import directly, have no minimum orders, and let others drop ship from them.

These online companies and Home depot or Lewes get their laminate at the same price, except the online companies do not have as many expenses.

Do you really think it costs $2 or even $1 to just MANUFACTURE 1sq.ft? NO, it costs about $0.30-.50/sq.ft

I know this because I used to work for an online retailer and we imported Kronotex, Classen, & Horizon our self's directly from Germany, no middle men involved.

The company is still operational and is doing great, check it out, www.eurolaminate.com, kronotex costs $0.95/sq.ft there with no minimum order because those guys stock everything and import directly.

To be honest, when i used to work there, we got the Krono for 0.78 including delivery to our warehouse from Germany! those are container prices of course but still.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I am not saying it's impossible to get laminate at 30-50 cents cost.
you just can't get a good one for that...

like you said, classen....ect..

W/A classic estate plus, Pergo Select, Armstrong laminates for life, Quickstep 4 sided perspectives..ect , DO NOT cost that much to make, they cost alot more.
I know my cost for flooring before all the overhead.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bah Home Depot and Lowes is a special order from Kronotex, an exclusive order if you will, that ranges about $0.80 from other online stores, no where close to Kronotex Dynamic Click 2 Click.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts