Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building an interior platform in a friend's condo this coming weekend. Basically, it is like a floating deck inside his condo. It will be a 10' x 12' platform 18" above the concrete floor (it cannot be attached to the back or side walls - don't ask :) ) - so, I am building it as a free standing deck. Instead of deck boards, we'll be putting 3/4" T&G for the subfloor.

The question I have is in regards to the laminate flooring he wants to put on top of the platform. The problem lies in the fact that the open end of the platform (3 sides are next to walls) leaves me wondering how to finish off the open end of the laminate flooring. We will be putting trim along the side and back walls to take care of those ends of the flooring. Also, the open end of the platform will be the starter row for the laminate. I was thinking of putting a 2" x 4" attached to the front of the platform and having it raised above the level of the floor but I am unsure of how it will look when it's finished. I would be grateful for any suggestions that any of you may have.

Thanks,

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
For best results lay the T&G at 90 deg. to the way that the flooring will be laid. BTW, why T&G? It's not very stable for a subfloor. To eliminate future squeaks, glue the subfloor to the joists while fastening.
For your edge, check out your local millwright, they may have something that will work. If not, make it yourself or have it made. I do it all of the time, all it takes is a table saw and a router/shaper.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I guess a stairnose won't work huh?

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why T&G? He doesn't want to use plywood (to keep the cost down). I figure that OSB T&G would be fine. Or, should we just use 4'x8' sheets of OSB? We plan on gluing the subfloor to the joists and screwing the crap out of it...

Stairnose? - didn't think of that but it probably won't be think enough to attach to the header board, subfloor and then be high enough for the laminate flooring? ...unless I am wrong about how thick the nosing actually is? I figure the subfloor and laminate flooring and underpad will be about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" thick.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
if you send me a picture of that side of the deck, I could recommend a solution.
I am bad about visualizing in my head.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures yet - we're building it this Saturday.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Trying not to echo Teetor, but I make my own noseing all the time too, just make sure you use a good hardwood so it will last.

Might have to play with some scrap on stain for awhile to match your floor but you'll get it.

Bob

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for all your suggestions/help guys. In all likelihood I will end-up either making my own nosing or we may end up just using 2"x2" and screw it into the sub-floor from the top (as opposed to the front of the platform). He is thinking about adding some sort of retaining wall/knee wall at the open end of the platform at a later date. If/when he does that then he can have the flooring butt up against that later. Hey, I'm just there to do the platform/flooring - whatever he does after is up to him - LOL.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Good to hear you found a solution. I know this goes without saying, which is why I'm saying it, but don't forget to let the floor expand/contract.

Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts