Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short, due to scheduling insanity I'm having to install the laminate flooring myself on a small remodel I'm doing. Now, I've done enough laminate flooring over wood subfloor to have no problem with the actual install. My question is regarding the moisture barrier I need to put down below it. The material itself has the foam pad attached, but I know i need something below for moisture due to concrete. Can I use Visqueen, felt? Or do I have to feel the foam off the back and buy the water proofing foam to put down?

Any and all input will be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
6 mil visqueen is typically what we use. What does the manufacturer spec say :whistling

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Yup, just add the virgin visqueen, overlap and tape joints using the red tape at lowes in the laminate aisle, I like it better than packing tape.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
6 mil visqueen is typically what we use. What does the manufacturer spec say :whistling
Haven't had a chance to research honestly. Started this thread before I even took it out of my vehicle. I just started here. I'll definitely check what manufacturer recommends.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Temperature and humidity can affect flooring planks. Acclimate the flooring in the house for 48 hours before installation. Stack the laminate flooring being used flat on the floor. Start by laying out the vapor barrier one row at a time from the longest wall of the room. When joining two sheets of barrier together, follow the manufacturer's directions. Hope this helps.
We installed the flooring a while ago and it came out great. We used the 6 mil Visqueen with the red tape. We actually able to let it acclimate for more than 48 hours so no worry there.

It's been about 7-8 years since I last installed laminate flooring, but we used that Lowes brand and it was pretty nice to work with. Amazing really considering the price.

I do appreciate everyone's input!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What blade did you have in your saw? I know laminate flooring is tough on saw blades?
Oh man is it hard on them. I only made a handful of cuts with a 80 tooth Diablo before remembering how hard it was on them. I bought one of those guillotine type cutters. They work pretty well. Too bad it'll probably be another 5 years before I do another laminate floor lol. But I'll be ready!

The cutter was like $130. Which I found to be reasonable....if you do more than 2 floor jobs a decade!:laughing:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts