Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guy called me wanting to know if I could install Laminate flooring in a travel trailer. It sounds like I could has any one else done this.

He's think wood, or that faux tile

·
Registered
498 Posts
I don't see why you cannot. I heard the story of a local restaurant owner had that or hardwoods installed in his RV. The good thing with laminate is that it floats. However, you have to be careful about the trailer flexing. You might want to put in a disclaimer since it is supposed to be on stable firm floors.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think It would do well.

Freedom to float around would be a good thing.

Nailing would probably cause it to buckle. Just like on like vinyl siding that had the nails driven home.

If you do want to anchor it some, I would choose the center board That way all can expand and contract out toward the sides and there would be no stress to cause buckling.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Can, and has been done. Follow the manufacturers instructions to the letter concerning expansion space and there should be no issues. I have installed quite a bit in motor homes through the years, can't recall a single issue.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
I think It would do well.

Freedom to float around would be a good thing.

Nailing would probably cause it to buckle. Just like on like vinyl siding that had the nails driven home.

If you do want to anchor it some, I would choose the center board That way all can expand and contract out toward the sides and there would be no stress to cause buckling.

Umm No.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have done it once on a floor that was installed incorrectly in that three buts were in three rows very close to each other and it caused the whole floor to lift up in the center. I just finished nailed them down pneumatically. They stayed down and the floor was free to expand all around. Never caused another problem.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Can, and has been done. Follow the manufacturers instructions to the letter concerning expansion space and there should be no issues. I have installed quite a bit in motor homes through the years, can't recall a single issue.
Would a motor home have less frame flex than a travel trailer?

or in your opinion is that not so much a prob?

I was going to do my van(same application as a motor home I would guess) at one time but hesitated.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I installed a laminite is a boat. Add a little titebond on the small planks at the ends. Leave at least 1/4 " at edges for swelling . If theres any dips in sub-floor over 1/4 fill will Mapai Tri-patch leveler or plani-patch.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Would a motor home have less frame flex than a travel trailer?

or in your opinion is that not so much a prob?

I was going to do my van(same application as a motor home I would guess) at one time but hesitated.
In my opinion, in order for there to be enough deflection in the sub floor to be an issue for laminate, you've got bigger problems to worry about, like cabinets and wall partitions coming loose. A well built, in sound shape travel trailer shouldn't be an issue imo. A rickety, 40 year old, frame rusted, p.o.s.....meh not so much :laughing:

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
I have done it once on a floor that was installed incorrectly in that three buts were in three rows very close to each other and it caused the whole floor to lift up in the center. I just finished nailed them down pneumatically. They stayed down and the floor was free to expand all around. Never caused another problem.
Three end joints close together wouldn't cause tenting in a floating floor. Lack of proper expansion does. All you did was force the problem to move somewhere else. Remember, just because you don't get a call back, it doesn't mean you did it right and there were no other problems... Not pickin on ya...just sayin.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
In my opinion, in order for there to be enough deflection in the sub floor to be an issue for laminate, you've got bigger problems to worry about, like cabinets and wall partitions coming loose. A well built, in sound shape travel trailer shouldn't be an issue imo. A rickety, 40 year old, frame rusted, p.o.s.....meh not so much :laughing:
Gotcha!:thumbsup: THANX!:thumbup:

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I dont know a whole lot about flooring but i dont see why you couldnt. Alot of the higher end travel trailers and motor homes have these types of floors, hell some of them even have tiled floors and baths.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Would excessive heat damage the flooring? The inside of a parked vehicle can reach 130+ degrees in the sun. Would that cause the adhesive to fail? Would that cause the floor to buckle? Most houses are climate controlled and don't reach those temperatures. What about freezing in the winter? Can laminate flooring suffer distress from temperature extremes?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
When my in-law asked me, I drove to the dealership, went in the lot and looked at the newest highend models, found one that matched what he wanted done and started peeling back trim and carpet to see how it was done. It can be done because the newer models have it.

Now, as long as that dealer dosen't read this post, I should be safe. It's easy to pull stuff up and back to peer underneath but that stuff just don't go back to it's original shape when you're done.:w00t:

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Would excessive heat damage the flooring? The inside of a parked vehicle can reach 130+ degrees in the sun. Would that cause the adhesive to fail? Would that cause the floor to buckle? Most houses are climate controlled and don't reach those temperatures. What about freezing in the winter? Can laminate flooring suffer distress from temperature extremes?
People around these parts take really good care of their 5th wheels and motor homes. They park 'em inside pole barns or keep 'em in climate controlled conditions. You kind of have to, if you only use 'em once or twice a year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts