Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's going on everyone...I am remodeling the kitchen, got new cabinets and everything on the way...I am looking at either Armstrong or Quick Step laminate flooring...I have been to a few different places and get a different answer everytime :confused: ...I was wondering if I can put my new oak cabinets on top of my new laminate floor or if I should wait for the cabinets to be installed and then lay the floor...Thanks for all the help..

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I suggest installing the cabinets first. You will probably replace the flooring or have to effect a repair before you replace the cabinets. Trying to cut the flooring under the toe kick will have you inventing new words.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
cabs first 100%

it is impossible to install cabs on a floating floor. well I guess it's possible but very stupid.
anyone who told you it may be o.k. needs not to ever give you flooring advice again.
this info is WELL known in the floor community.

·
Registered
46 Posts
my experience is in commercial construction and it does not matter what way you go, before or after the cabinets, but then again that is VCT, and most places redesign when a new tenant occupies, and it is not your house so they do not care as much. it is possible to do it before but like teetor said if you ever want to change the flooring it will be more difficult.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
in new construction residential or commercial, or a complete re gut of an area or areas, it is always possible to install under cabs if it is not a floating floor.
yes, it is a good idea, cause if you rearrange the cabs down the road, you may not have to redo floor (MAYBE, most likely yes).
If a floating floor, or just a floor project, cabs should stay in place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts