Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had problems with their dogs scratching their laminate floors? Im looking to get rid of my downstairs carpet and do it in all laminate but want to make sure my dog wont kill it the first time she peels out.

I have heard from other dog owners that the standard (AC3) pergo's work fine. Just wanted to double check that with everyone.

Thanks in advance.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
It's all relative.
Someone could have an AC3 lam, and trim the nails. They could probably live with an AC2.
Some have AC4 rated lam, and they do not trim the nails good or often, then they will complain that their lam scratches all the time.

Buy the best rated lam you can afford, buy area rugs and runners, trim the dogs nails as needed, and that's the best you can do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Florcraft said:
It's all relative.
Someone could have an AC3 lam, and trim the nails. They could probably live with an AC2.
Some have AC4 rated lam, and they do not trim the nails good or often, then they will complain that their lam scratches all the time.

Buy the best rated lam you can afford, buy area rugs and runners, trim the dogs nails as needed, and that's the best you can do.

So dollar for dollar, whats the best AC3 and AC4 that you would recomend. Also is buying online the way to go or? I got about 750 sq feet to do.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Buying online can save money, although it puts more on your shoulders.
I happen to think that local shopping is not only better for the economy in your area, but also you will have someone face to face to talk to if any issues arise.
But if it saves 700 bucks, how can you argue too much with that huh?

All manufacturers have a good, better, and best in their line. I encourage you not to shop on ratings alone. Stick with these manufacturers, and buy the best quality within these manufacturers.

Pergo
Wilsonart
Quickstep
Allock
Witex
Armstrong

some of these manufacturers have products so durable, they have a commercial warranty.

good luck

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Like Flor said and it's really fun to watch them skid around on the stuff.
I went with the best Pergo about 4 yrs. ago and not a scratch to date.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a bunch for the info. I will probably go with the Pergo Select or Armstrong depending what color the wife picks out.

Just curious, has anyone had expierence with Balterio? Places are advertising their Diplomat line as AC4 for $1.30/sqft. Should I stay away?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Ya gets what ya pays for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts