Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres my situation, i have a commercial space that i am finishing, about 55 boards on 11' walls. We always hand taped, but i figured i need to get some production on this job.

Without spending big bucks and for the amount of boards i have now.. what do you think is the best option?

What do you guys think about that ez stick tape? Does it work like it says?

Or Should a do a compound tube with some flushers?

·
Registered
843 Posts
I have used one brand of the self adhesive tape with Durabond. Fast set mud is sure important with it. I didn't have any trouble with it. We used it in a building with three hundred sheets on walls that had to be done in one weekend. Worked good. Wouldn't want to use it all the time. Prefer the old fashioned way with bazooka and regular tape.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have used one brand of the self adhesive tape with Durabond. Fast set mud is sure important with it. I didn't have any trouble with it. We used it in a building with three hundred sheets on walls that had to be done in one weekend. Worked good. Wouldn't want to use it all the time. Prefer the old fashioned way with bazooka and regular tape.
mesh or paper? I think with durabond, either way you are good. Problem is that i dont have too many flats, but i have lots of corners (where the wall meets the ceiling) that needs to be taped. So i wouldnt be able to use mesh there.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Heres my situation, i have a commercial space that i am finishing, about 55 boards on 11' walls. We always hand taped, but i figured i need to get some production on this job.

Without spending big bucks and for the amount of boards i have now.. what do you think is the best option?

What do you guys think about that ez stick tape? Does it work like it says?

Or Should a do a compound tube with some flushers?

55 boards??? you make that sound like its a big job. I'd probbly use a banjo on that little one,, wouldn't bother breaking out any tools..

If it isn't more than 250 boards, I wouldn't call it a big job.

Seriously

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
55 boards??? you make that sound like its a big job. I'd probbly use a banjo on that little one,, wouldn't bother breaking out any tools..

If it isn't more than 250 boards, I wouldn't call it a big job.

Seriously
oh no.. i know 55 boards isn't alot. i just thought it would be a great opportunity to get started with tools. So you think a wet banjo would do the trick?

·
Registered
322 Posts
oh no.. i know 55 boards isn't alot. i just thought it would be a great opportunity to get started with tools. So you think a wet banjo would do the trick?
Yes I do,,, I think tools are cool, and I have most all of em, but they are relitive to the job at hand,,, a 55 board job isn't big enough to break out pumps, angle tools, bazooka or whatever,,, you should tape it in about 2 hrs with a banjo (or less, a good banjo taper can tape 200+ in a day)

If you ae trying to get into tools, then yes,, use em on this job to get a feel for em,, but this job does not call for em.

You got two differant questions presented here.:w00t:

·
Registered
132 Posts
My first tools(other than pan/knives/trowels) were a super taper, applicator tube, roller, and a couple of direct flushers. They're a good place to start - economical, easy to clean, & well suited to the odd small job. These tools pop up on E-bay regularly if your looking save $$$.

Be warned the super taper can make quite a mess until you get a hang of it - the banjo might be a better option if you don't like touching mud.

Good luck,
D'S

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My first tools(other than pan/knives/trowels) were a super taper, applicator tube, roller, and a couple of direct flushers. They're a good place to start - economical, easy to clean, & well suited to the odd small job. These tools pop up on E-bay regularly if your looking save $$$.

Be warned the super taper can make quite a mess until you get a hang of it - the banjo might be a better option if you don't like touching mud.

Good luck,
D'S
whats the difference between flushers and direct flushers? Im assuming the direct flushers push the mud out through the tube right?

·
Registered
132 Posts
whats the difference between flushers and direct flushers? Im assuming the direct flushers push the mud out through the tube right?
Yup direct flushers have a hole in the middle so you can push mud into the corner as you flush it. They require a bit of muscle and technique but work well. I've found you can direct flush with a 2.5 right after you roll and then final coat with a 3 or 3.5 once dry.

I use angle heads now instead of flushers because they leave a much nicer finish but they were 5x the $'s

Good luck,
D'S

·
Registered
322 Posts
lol ... i still dont know what to do... if i should do the banjo for now and call it a day! Or to use the wool roller, lay by hand, and get some flushers... cuz i already have the roller.
Use the banjo,,, then either do it by hand, or with angle heads, or with the flushers,,, .

Using the banjo ONLY lays the tape FASTER than by hand, you still have to deal with it after its layed, either by hand, by flushers or by angle heads.

The lambs wool roller will only help,
1) either mud the corners BRFORE you lay the tape
2)after you tape a corner by hand, you can re-mud with the lambs wool roller and then pull with a flusher or angle head.

the lambs wool roller ONLY puts mud on the corner, you still have to DEAL with it AFTER its on the corner

Using a lambs wool roller in connection with flushers or angle heads is done in the ADVENT of a corner box, mudrunner, alpha-tech tool, or a mub tube from BTE with flushers on it

You CAN"T finish corners with a lambs-wool roller

Hope this helps, if I understand your question

·
Registered
322 Posts
lol ... i still dont know what to do... if i should do the banjo for now and call it a day! Or to use the wool roller, lay by hand, and get some flushers... cuz i already have the roller.
If i understand the question the otherway,,,,

A banjo is like 20 times faster than a lambswool roller and than laying tape by hand

1 - 12 of 12 Posts