Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a load bearing wall that I am eliminating and putting in a lam beam. My question is, what is the best way to tie into the existing walls on either side of the wall we are dropping. I am just curious as to the best way to tie the lam beam into the other walls to provide a solid structural tie in. The beam is only a 10' section of wall that we are dropping. what would be better for this application a 2x10 or a 2x12 lam beam ? Thanks for in advance for your help

·
Pro
506 Posts
Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!:thumbsup:

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
I have a load bearing wall that I am eliminating and putting in a lam beam. My question is, what is the best way to tie into the existing walls on either side of the wall we are dropping. I am just curious as to the best way to tie the lam beam into the other walls to provide a solid structural tie in. The beam is only a 10' section of wall that we are dropping. what would be better for this application a 2x10 or a 2x12 lam beam ? Thanks for in advance for your help
tree fiddy

·
Registered
711 Posts
Any "GC" should know how to post up a beam in a wall. Do you know what jack studs are:whistling

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Any "GC" should know how to post up a beam in a wall. Do you know what jack studs are:whistling
We sometimes call'em trimmers on the left coast.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Are the "existing" walls part of the wall you are removing, and in line with it on either side? if so, treat it like a header in a R.O. just use 3 or 4 jack(trimmer) studs. ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,673 Posts
Simple answer to the last question.
A 2x12 beam is BETTER than a 2x10 beam

Always glad to help with the tough questions.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
What a lot of HO's err people forget to consider is not just the header size but also the footing size.You are taking weight that was spread out over a 10' span and now it is going to be bearing on two 6" or so areas.If the wall was holding up only ceiling joists it is not usually a problem.But anything else and you can have big trouble.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts