Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to build a new subdivision and was interested to see if any of you have had much experience with lagoon systems. Do they work well ?smell? Bring property value down?cost effective? We are obviously trying to get the most lots out of this piece of property so trying to weigh out all of our options. Thank you for your time and any response is much appreciated

·
Registered
818 Posts
All I know is the lagoon I have been around at schools and such, smelled horrible.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Do they allow you to put raw sewage into lagoons in a housing complex. Why do they not have municipal sewers or private septic systems for each house. They would never allow something like that around here. The only lagoons around here are at the treatment plants. Sounds very unhealthy. I wouldn't want one around my house. I would say it would depreciate the values of houses.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sorry. Should have been more specific. Each home will have they're own septic tank or waste so as all liquid will flow to lagoon. There are a few around close by and I have not heard anything negative yet but just wandering about you all experience Thanks again

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I've got two properties with raw sewage lagoons.. They really don't have an odor like you would think.. Maintenance is the biggest headache, basically just mowing, but you have to keep the cat tails down or they'll drink all the water.

One serves two homes, and the other has three.

Sized properly by the county sanitarian

Not sure if its allowed for larger multi unit though

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Oh yeah.. can't use anti-bacterial soaps or you'll kill the good bacteria...

·
operator
394 Posts
Do they allow you to put raw sewage into lagoons in a housing complex. Why do they not have municipal sewers or private septic systems for each house. They would never allow something like that around here. The only lagoons around here are at the treatment plants. Sounds very unhealthy. I wouldn't want one around my house. I would say it would depreciate the values of houses.
I agree with this. It's 2014 for God's sake. There are better, more modern solutions for sewage. I would never even consider buying any property, residential or otherwise, near a sewage lagoon.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
They're required here on new construction, as the soils won't perc test out...

Talking rural property of course.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes TQ. The soils are horrible for perking here so as why we are considering some type of lagoon system. Thanks for input.

·
Registered
534 Posts
We build septic beds on bedrock if we have to. You build up the bed with proper materials and by the time the effluent works it way through it is supposed to be treated. If you say the ground soil has too poor perculation rates for a septic bed, what do you think it will do in a lagoon. It will just sit there and eventually go directly into the water table. We use built up beds all the time in Muskoka. Lots of rocks and lakes around here as well as clay.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The lagoons around here all have outlets. Most hold the waste water back for calculated amount of time for retention. Most of the lagoons here are acres in size

1 - 11 of 11 Posts