Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.
I bought a 85 ford 1/2 ton e150 conversion van. The standard ladder racks wont fit because its 81/2" from the gutter to the hi top. I just got a qoute to build a set of racks for $300 :eek: . Any ideas on how to mount a standard set of racks to this van that would be secure? I can send pics with exact dimensions if needed. I dont mind paying to have something done, but $300 vs $99 for racks, well lets just say I could use that extra money else where :Thumbs: ...thanks.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Have you considered making some out of 1" galvanized pipe and bolting it to the roof?

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cdac said:
don, both the above posts are valid, prior to getting a new sprinter van, I too had a dodge b300 hightop conversion van and found myself in the same situation... As you know the roof has no integrity whatsoever, and modifying a set of gutter mounted racks to clear the roof would be scary loaded with ladders & picks going down the road. Here is what I came up with
Measure from floor to ceiling plus about 5" these will go through the roof and sandwich it with threaded flanges , it is sturdy as hell and gives you 4 posts to attach shelving inside.hope this helps :Thumbs:
Chris...ok, let me get this straight..I get me some 4" galvanized pipe. 4 peices at the length I need. I then drill through the roof and slide the pipe down from the top, then run threaded flanges up the bar from the inside, and down the bar from the top. Fasten the flanges together. Now what about the cross bars running from bar to bar across the width of the van. I'm a little mechanically challenged, so bear with me. Thanks.

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cdac said:
oops, forgot the sketches
So the tops of the four poles need to be threaded in order to secure the flanges. I see in the sketch that the bottom of the poles that sit on the floor of the van appear to have flanges?

But I still don't under stand how the cross bars are attached? Do you weld the cross bars onto the poles?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
All you need to do is get creative with some tees, nipples and caps. The way I'm reading the drawing is using a flange on both sides of the roof, All you have then is the bolt holes actually penetrating the roof.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
But you could start doing some plumbing. :cheesygri

1 - 13 of 13 Posts