Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to reroof my own home and will be doing most of the work myself (apprx. 30 squares). Do any of you pros have any tips for getting the shingles to the roof? I'm getting them from Lowe's and they don't do roof top delivery. I'm prepared to hike them up but sure would like to find an easier method. I called around hoping to find a small ladder hoist to rent but so far no luck.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
Me too. Most roofing suply houses will even stock the roof for you for a fee. Might cost you a little extra, but will sure save the old backaroo.

Tell me...why do you prefer to DIY?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cdac said:
As a DIYer I would reconsider buying your shingles from lowes and get them from somewhere that has rooftop delivery.
Due to hurricane hangover, shingles are hard to come by here in Florida. Add to that 12 mos. no payments and no interest and it's too good to pass on. I would have preferred the Elk Prestique HD but they're non-existant in the area right now (at least for DIYers).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AaronB. said:
Me too. Most roofing suply houses will even stock the roof for you for a fee. Might cost you a little extra, but will sure save the old backaroo.

Tell me...why do you prefer to DIY?
Contractors are backed up here, the rainy season is just around the bend and a minimum $5000 saving in my pocket. All the supply houses that I called are temporarily contractor only - due to the hurrican induced shingle shortage.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
Grumpy always says....the savings of doing it yourself can be lost with one simple mis5take, or something thereabouts. :) He is so wise, so wise.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Grumpy, You're not here and the official season starts in June. We have been known to get a cat1 prior to June. There are still plenty of 'blue roofs' around, want to face any hurricane with plastic on your roof?
The word going around is that the locals are comprimising on their work. NOW where does one go? DIY is looking better all of the time!

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I don't want to face ANY hurricane with anything. I'm happy living safely where I am with no hurricanes, earth quakes, tornados or other such natural disasters. All I have to deal with is snow, which I truly do not mind one bit.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Grumpy said:
I don't want to face ANY hurricane with anything. I'm happy living safely where I am with no hurricanes, earth quakes, tornados or other such natural disasters. All I have to deal with is snow, which I truly do not mind one bit.
That will change, Grumpy, as you get older. I used to revel in the stuff - Skiing, tobagonning, skating, building forts and having snowfights... Now my winter exercise is shovelling snow, scraping the ice off the windshield, chopping the ice on the walk... There's something to be said for youth - my daughters go out in blizzard conditions dressed in clothing so thin it has no insulating value, yet somehow they can spend hours outside without any apparent ill effects. Oh, wait a moment, I used to do that too. There's a reason why the older demographic want to go south. That picture on the left is my current attitude towards winter.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Paul I havent done any of those activities (snow ball fights, snow angels, fun in general) since I was a kid. The reason I like the snow is because it gives me time off of work, while causing damage to the roofs at the same time. It's truly a two-for-one. A bad Chicago winter can render a new shingle roof useless.

Now those are your winter exercises? Wow, those have been my winter activities since I was a kid. I was shoveling snow for my parents and all the neighbors under order of my father, since before I can remember. I mean isn't that why we have kids? Free labor. I bought my father a snow blower for Christmas about 5 or more years ago. He NEVER used it until I moved out of his house about 3 years ago. Take a guess who I really bought that present for ;)

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
If it's cold enough to snow, I'm staying inside and waiting for it to melt, just the way God intended. Heck, I don't go outside when it's below 50. LOL

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
pgriz said:
...my daughters go out in blizzard conditions dressed in clothing so thin it has no insulating value...
I can't wait till Glass gets a look at this post! :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts