Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one out there ever been involved with a labor pool? I've been self employed here in ny for the past 17 years and this winter has finaly put me under. my sister in law from ontario phoned me last week about an ad in the local paper for a company out of halifax nova scotia who is looking to send trades people to florida on contract, I contacted the company and have since sent in my application and resume It sounds like a fair deal( I've checked with the B.B.B and builders assocn.s all on the up and up) Never being involved with this type of company I was just wondering if any of you could shed some light this new situation for me . Anybody ??? pros? cons ? what to be on the lookout for.?
thanks in advance for your input.
Dan

·
Registered
318 Posts
Dan,
Shoot me a pm. I'm currently with a company that is a professional labor pooler in the Chicago area. For your situation, the name of the game is negotiation. Beyond that I'll tell you more in private.

Tim

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Cutting us out of all the dirty details, eh?
I'm curious as to how this works. I know how it works locally, soup kitchen guys. I did get one good guy from the labor pool, he quit the union too.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I agree Teetorbilt, I'd love to hear how this works Compensation included for travel and per diem or is that all out of your own pocket? What kind of trades they need down there? I know they are desperate for roofers and drywallers, but from looking at other boards, the pay doesn't seem like it would be worth the while to go that far for work. Although I did hear about a company willing to pay $7 s/f for tile setting talent recently over on JB's site.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'm trying to think of a trade that they DON'T need down here. We were shorthanded prior to the storms due to booming new construction. The storms just made a bad situation worse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts