Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I build custom houses and was curious to hear how much time other carpenters allow for installing pre hung doors, casing windows, casing doors and any other part of trim. I no this can very so assume everything is on site, stain grade products, and high quality craftsmanship

·
Registered
67 Posts
There is no way to answer this , too many variables of the site , quality of the trades you are following , door sizes, window locations , trim style , etc.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
I build custom houses and was curious to hear how much time other carpenters allow for installing pre hung doors, casing windows, casing doors and any other part of trim. I no this can very so assume everything is on site, stain grade products, and high quality craftsmanship
How good are the framers?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I once trimmed out an entire house in 3 days by myself. I redid the trim in 2 rooms in another house one time and that took 4 days.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
This took me somewhere between 6-8 hours. Yes just this one wall. That would include the casing on the door.

Property Room Wall Furniture Floor

Many different factors made it that way but as others have mentioned there is no set answer to your question.

·
GC/carpenter
43,956 Posts
CrpntrFrk said:
This took me somewhere between 6-8 hours. Yes just this one wall. That would include the casing on the door. Many different factors made it that way but as others have mentioned there is no set answer to your question.
I wouldn't mind paying you 6 - 8 hours to do that. It looks like you did a nice job on it, which is the main thing. It beats paying you 4 hours to phuck it up and the paying another 6 to redo it, and leaving a bad taste in a customers mouth.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lets say your following good framers and you don't have to fix door openings and windows have been shimmed straight and flush with drywall. There are a lot of variables in trim but you have to come up with a labor rate before you get the job. Knowing this and high quality being expected what do you allow

·
Registered
917 Posts
I can hang a pre-hung and case in about 25min if the opening is good, if it's off or I have to do extension jambs on one side, or it's a pos door it could take 2 hours, if my boss is standing over me with a stop watch I can make it take all day

·
Registered
358 Posts
I can hang a pre-hung and case in about 25min if the opening is good, if it's off or I have to do extension jambs on one side, or it's a pos door it could take 2 hours, if my boss is standing over me with a stop watch I can make it take all day
Hahahaha that last part cracked me up!

·
Registered
Remodel
31,166 Posts
My mind is boggled. Does getting lucky happen sometimes or is it assumed to happen every time?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
It took me all day to hang my bathroom door. Then it took a carpenter about an hour to take it apart and do it properly.:whistling

·
Registered
1,306 Posts

no

Know

Honestly, these are the guys I'm competing with? Yes grammar and spelling count.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts