Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies. Be sure to use plenty of heat on these new LF fittings.

Guys are having all sorts of problems. This photo was taken at my wholesaler from a guy who brought this in. 2 days later the fitting popped and flooded the home.

Notice how it looks like full penetration.

Auto part

Finger Skin Hand Nail Thumb

Brass Pipe Metal Auto part Plumbing

Attachments

·
Registered
12,784 Posts
Hence the reason I used Sharkbites. :whistling :jester:

Seriously though, how would you know if it is solid if it, I assume, acts like the old fittings, but may not be solid? Is there any way of really knowing?

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hence the reason I used Sharkbites. :whistling :jester:

Seriously though, how would you know if it is solid if it, I assume, acts like the old fittings, but may not be solid? Is there any way of really knowing?
You just know. If a person is a real plumber they have spent years sweating so many valves you just feel it.

But on the new lead free valves it behaves differently, I know I can feel the difference for sure. What's a little freaky is the GM of the wholesaler said he was a very experienced plumber and that's why he brought it in. I don't know this guy.

When I shoved the copper piece back in the valve it looked to have all the trademark signs of a perfect joint.

I'm going to sweat up some valves and cut then in half and see how my penetration is. My guess is that it is a heat issue..... usually is .

I've put a lot of these in so far and haven't had any problems that are visible and certainly no complaints........but I'm nervous as hell after seeing this fitting pop.

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
You just know. If a person is a real plumber they have spent years sweating so many valves you just feel it.

But on the new lead free valves it behaves differently, I know I can feel the difference for sure. What's a little freaky is the GM of the wholesaler said he was a very experienced plumber and that's why he brought it in. I don't know this guy.

When I shoved the copper piece back in the valve it looked to have all the trademark signs of a perfect joint.

I'm going to sweat up some valves and cut then in half and see how my penetration is. My guess is that it is a heat issue..... usually is .

I've put a lot of these in so far and haven't had any problems that are visible and certainly no complaints........but I'm nervous as hell after seeing this fitting pop.
You might want to try it with different brands of solder as well, I've had better luck with Bridgit than I have with Silvabrite, I haven't tried 50/50 yet, but I bet that would have 0 problems.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You might want to try it with different brands of solder as well, I've had better luck with Bridgit than I have with Silvabrite, I haven't tried 50/50 yet, but I bet that would have 0 problems.
Thanks, I'll try a couple different products out.

Can't use 50/50. Lol, but yeah, bet it would work great.

·
Registered
60 Posts
No, that's not an option in the real world. It just requires a different feel. No big deal.
It's an option in my real world.

I don't make a habbit of soldering in to compression fittings but when I have to do it I always tin the brass first.

I am never in too much of a rush to not spend an extra few seconds to guarantee a good joint and not run the risk of causing a major flood costing thousands.

·
Registered
818 Posts
We have had trouble with the lead free solder too, not major leaks but pinholes occaisionally. We didn't change our methods, but now we have to be extra extra careful.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's an option in my real world.

I don't make a habbit of soldering in to compression fittings but when I have to do it I always tin the brass first.

I am never in too much of a rush to not spend an extra few seconds to guarantee a good joint and not run the risk of causing a major flood costing thousands.
Dude, I just noticed you live in "The Isle of Man". The coolest car ever made, in my opinion, was made on your home turf; the Peel P50.

I want one of those so bad!

·
Registered
60 Posts
OMG how do you know about the Peel P 50. I am impressed. Respect to you!

I am even just glad you have heard of the Isle of Man. Most of the population of the U.K. don't even know we exist.

Do you really like that little car? Made in Peel in the 1960's, I don't know a great deal about them, but it's got to be the smallest car ever made.

There is still a few of them about owned by enthusiasts

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OMG how do you know about the Peel P 50. I am impressed. Respect to you!

I am even just glad you have heard of the Isle of Man. Most of the population of the U.K. don't even know we exist.

Do you really like that little car? Made in Peel in the 1960's, I don't know a great deal about them, but it's got to be the smallest car ever made.

There is still a few of them about owned by enthusiasts
I am very serious. I could talk about the p50 and it's history all day. I've driven it twice and would like to buy one. There's also a tiny museum of little cars etc. Well, this is way off subject. Don't her me started. Lol

Anyhow, everything about that car was brilliant.

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
Thanks, I'll try a couple different products out.

Can't use 50/50. Lol, but yeah, bet it would work great.
I keep a roll of 50/50 in my solder box, for those occasions where you can't get that tiny amount of water to stop long enough to get a joint made up.

The whole lead free movement is nothing more than stupid in my humble opinion, There are countless lead water services around here, but let's change the way we make brass to protect everyone from a trace amount of lead in the hose bibb that is connected to that lead water service.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Big Shoe

That boiler drain has provisions for both a sweat connection as well as a threaded one. It's up to the installer and the intended application.
Thanks.

But I do hate the use of boiler drains for hose bibs. Very hard to attach hose.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I keep a roll of 50/50 in my solder box, for those occasions where you can't get that tiny amount of water to stop long enough to get a joint made up.

The whole lead free movement is nothing more than stupid in my humble opinion, There are countless lead water services around here, but let's change the way we make brass to protect everyone from a trace amount of lead in the hose bibb that is connected to that lead water service.
I agree, in fact, lead has a great ability to create a slime coat which protects the lead.

I have a roll of 50/50 in my box of tricks also. Nothing flows better than lead.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts