Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pros and cons between Chevy and Ford. Also what year did Chevy start putting the 6 speed in the 6.0 vans?

From what I see I can find a lot of Frrds for sale but not many Chevy's. I am not interested in diesel at this time as I fear the emissions may not be 100% reliable just yet. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I'm a Chevy guy but I don't really think one is better than the other. Get the best vehicle you can afford. Have a pre purchase inspection done (great bargaining tool). Service record are a must in my opinion. Vans are rarely maintained as well as trucks, one reason because access to underhood components is so difficult.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was more concerned with the 5.4 not being big enough to handle a 1 ton loaded van or pulling a 16' enclosed trailer.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I was more concerned with the 5.4 not being big enough to handle a 1 ton loaded van or pulling a 16' enclosed trailer.

I recently traded my f250 v10 with 4:10 gears and picked up a chevy 3500 with a reading body on it. I went with the chevy because of the 6.0 motor. I test drove a new ford with the 5.4 and man what a dog. The chevy deffinetly has more power.

I get about 9.2 mpg according to the dash computer. Its deffinetly not a vehicle I'd want to tow with all the time, my truck did a much better job. But all I tow around anymore is my 6x10 dump trailer.

Warner is pretty much spot on with the mpg. But for me I was getting 7-8 in my pickup always towing, so this is an improvement:laughing:

Edit: I will also add, I just had mine tuned to get rid of the stupid things chevy does to detune the truck. That was deffinetly an improvement over stock. And next on the list is switching out the 3:42 gears for 4:11's. That should make a huge difference.

Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone know when they started with the 6 speed auto's in the Chevys? How much more power did you see after the tune? How did it affect your mpg's?

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Does anyone know when they started with the 6 speed auto's in the Chevys? How much more power did you see after the tune? How did it affect your mpg's?
My dad has an 09 gmc pickup and he has the six speed, I'm not sure how many years earlier they started putting them in.

After the tune my mpgs are exactly the same, right around 9 towing or not towing. Its like a whole new truck, the guy that tuned it got rid of a lot or the factory torque management, adjusted the shift points ( the 6 speed is always searching for the right gear) raised the timing, and a few other things.

Dave

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have a 09 chevy express and it has a 4 speed tranny. The torque converter took a dump at 20k miles and the rental van was a 2010 with a 6 speed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I might need to add part of the van's responsibility will be pulling a 5000 lb trailer with a scissor lift on it from time to time or our 16' enclosed 2 axle trailer.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I stopped yesterday to check out a new ford e350 dually 5.4 with a supreme cube body with built in tool boxes. 42 grand. Too rich for my blood.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts