Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be building shelving and racks in my new work van and was wondering if you would recommend using kreg pocket screws for installing the shelves to the uprights in my van. I am planning on using 1/2 " plywood for both the uprights and shelves.

Thanks for any helpful info you can give me.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
rondon said:
I will be building shelving and racks in my new work van and was wondering if you would recommend using kreg pocket screws for installing the shelves to the uprights in my van. I am planning on using 1/2 " plywood for both the uprights and shelves. Thanks for any helpful info you can give me.
Kregs work well. I used them a lot in my trailer

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
We ripped out particle board shelf units from the 80's, held on the wall with a chitload of 16g trim nails.

Customer had loaded to the point where the particleboard shelves were sagging.

Before today, I would have said that this was asinine. (still think it is)...

...but, Kreg screws, for a work van shelf unit!

...eh.

Not my first choice, but if you have a heavy steel partition;

Go Nutz!

·
Design/Build
641 Posts
Kreg says you can use pocket screws on 1/2" material. Seems pretty thin to me. I have never seen them on anything less than 3/4". Personally, for a work van I would use 3/4" for strength if nothing else.

With that being said they do work well and once you get the hang of it they are easy to use. Make sure to offset the holes if you are attaching to opposite sides of one upright.

·
This space for lease
5,323 Posts
Kreg mounts are great, especially if glued. But dadoed and glued would be stronger and I would use 3/4" double sided MDO.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
In my trailer I dadoed some shelves and glued then Kreg glued others, even on 1/2" it is fine. No problems with either, also I used glue and 16g nails on face of some of the shelves, had put 1 x 2's on for a lip and then filled the hole, those have helderfect too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts