Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering moving to the kooteny's some day. having only worked in vancouver though i am wondering how hard it is to find steady work with good pay for a ticketed carpenter. i have experience in forming, framing and finishing. i am also wondering how bad it was last winter during the recession. out here i was able to find work when things slowed down. i am getting tired of going broke just to pay the mortgage on a two bedroom condo. it would be nice to have a house for my family. if anyone can tell me what its like in the kooteny region that would be great. thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i didn't expect replies so fast. thanks. it probably won't be for at least a year or so. i'm expecting i would be commuting a lot to different areas. i'm also wondering about what the unions are like. i've never worked for one here.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
castlegar is one of the areas we are considering due to its central location. i know questions about pay can be kind of taboo but i'm going to ask anyway. what is the going rate(hourly) for a journeymen? out here 30$ an hour is pretty standard. i only ask because it would determine the price of the house we would choose.

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts
There is definitely some commuting to other areas, currently I am driving an hour each way to a job out past Nelson on the North Shore. Working in Salmo, Fruitvale, Trail, Slocan Valley etc. is not uncommon at all, I've done many jobs in all those places.

I don't know anything about the union. Never joined, don't plan to. Never been on a union job.

Can't really say for sure about the wage, but 27-30 is probably a pretty safe bet.
I'm sure some places are more and some are less.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you said new construction died during the fall but what about renos and other small jobs. i have stayed busy during slow times by doing smaller jobs on my own. i guess i'm just a little paranoid about leaving the bubble because its been good to me but after looking at the price of houses outside of the lower mainland i sometimes ask myself wtf i am doing here? i just hear all these stories about work drying up in the smaller towns.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts