Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm not a pool guy, but a room guy. I had this concrete pool built on my own home in the early 80's, it's been a fantastic pool. As it pushes 30 years, there only a few weak spots. My daughter and her husband live there now and he bought a Kool Deck repair kit and needs some assistance. A few questions:

In the picture that shows the small, loose chunks of concrete/kool deck ...would you suggest taking out everything that will come loose? The chips might be 3" x 1 1/2" x 2". Do you think the new kool deck mixture will adhere to that big of a gap?

Any other hints?

Next post more pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what do the instructions say?
To remove all loose materials... The question, more specifically, if this stuff is designed to fill a 1 1/2" deep gash, or if some other material should be applied first? Hoping a pool guy has used this patch process before and can pass on some experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Looks like that’s more than a kool Deck repair! Kool Deck is just a top coat for the pool deck. From your pictures it looks like the deck itself is failing. Like with any type of coating repair, the end product is only as good as what the repair is attached to! break out all the loose material - patch what ever part od the deck needs it then top with the kool deck repair kit

·
Bruce
15 Posts
Also looks like you are gonna be removing the cantiliver overpour in the photo and will need to use a cement with acrylic bonding agent added to repair that..soung out entire deck by tapping with hammer checking for hollow spots..it may get extensive or you might just get lucky. Won't know till you do that. Skimmer area looks like a problem area too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, Bill. I was just wondering how that repair kit worked out. I am working on a home right now doing small handyman repairs. I noticed the Kool Decking was cracking around the side of the pool. I think the ground below it is settling causing the integrity of the concrete around the pool to be compromised, but I'm not sure. It could just be a coincidence that it is evenly cracking about 2 feet all the way around the south side of the pool. My question to Bill is, does the repair kit work? Any other pool professional or Kool Deck pro out there, do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts