Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys just got numbers on these and pretty nicely priced. Any one use the Kolbe Vinyl? Any pros / cons. I have installed several of there metal clad and 0 issues all around just perfect except the empty pocket. Are they just like any other vinyl but with a high end brand? These would total replacement in brick to brick replacement or add framing to accommodate new construction fins.
No rants or raves just the facts on experience please.

Thanks
Yanni
citydeksinc.com
citypropertiesinc.net

·
Registered
74 Posts
I didn't know that Kolbe even offered an all vinyl line. After searching their website I was intrigued by the "Latitude" series. I couldn't find a downloadable PDF of a brochure from this series to really research them. No performance numbers or real details, very vague. I found one video that showed an interior view of factory mulled twin. Very nice looking.

Low profile mortised locks, lift handles as opposed to vinyl lift rails, glazing by Cardinal. Very nice stuff indeed. I'd like to know if they feature 3-point weatherstripping on the sashes, meeting rail non-metal sash reinforcement, foam filling, non-irrigating sills without stupid weep holes, type of balance system.

Being over in South Jersey right over the bridge from Delaware I threw in a Wilmington zip to see who offers Kolbe and all that came up close was West Chester, PA.

Maybe Homesealed will chime in? Looks like a solid product????

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't know that Kolbe even offered an all vinyl line. After searching their website I was intrigued by the "Latitude" series. I couldn't find a downloadable PDF of a brochure from this series to really research them. No performance numbers or real details, very vague. I found one video that showed an interior view of factory mulled twin. Very nice looking.

Low profile mortised locks, lift handles as opposed to vinyl lift rails, glazing by Cardinal. Very nice stuff indeed. I'd like to know if they feature 3-point weatherstripping on the sashes, meeting rail non-metal sash reinforcement, foam filling, non-irrigating sills without stupid weep holes, type of balance system.

Being over in South Jersey right over the bridge from Delaware I threw in a Wilmington zip to see who offers Kolbe and all that came up close was West Chester, PA.

Maybe Homesealed will chime in? Looks like a solid product????
Same here it looks like a solid product. The rep is Steve at North American good guy. I've installed several kolbe window and doors but never vinyl.
The glass od is 7/8" argon low e they have the highest and latest energy ratings and up to date with all of there technology. I was looking at the single hung. My windows are just about 8ft h. I'm getting integrity number in the next day or two. I like them both. The kolbe a lil more because of the brick molding which save me time on the trim port of the install. Also getting the kolbe vinyl in black so I am a lil worried about long term fading were the integrity is fiberglass and a better uv protectant paint. kolbe vinyl can in 1/2 f the trimline. They are very nicely priced.
I got numbers from trimline metal clad almost 10grand. There od on the glass is 7/8 as well with super nice weather stripping seals. I've installed several of these as well and would comfortably rival marvin, kolbe and top shelf brand, but at 10k and 19 more to go I really don't want to be window rich.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sounds like a some solid research. We don't get the request for such higher end products in my market place, thus I'm pretty much am a retrofit vinyl guy that is always stuck behind his siding brakes. I get jealous of such nicer wood and fiberglass projects.

Good luck. I'll have to check out the Kolbe line next time that I'm out that way towards West Chester. I like nicely designed metal lift handles on vinyl. OKNA's are well received by my homeowners. Schuco's, while not nearly as nice as OKNA's were nice back in the day. Never been a fan of the one's on the Simonton Impressions 9800, however I no long term experience with them

·
windows & siding
846 Posts
Some nice features but the performance is severely lacking. .30 U factor and .25cfm air infiltration on the double hung. You would be hard pressed to find a vinyl window with WORSE performance.
They have links to the tests right on the website.
I do like their wood products, but there is a reason IMO that the vinyl is not gaining much traction.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The performance numbers on the Kolbe vinyl are HORRIBLE ...
.30 ufactor and a .25 air leakage rate !!!!!
Kolbe may make a good wood window but their vinyl windows are low end.
Never buy a vinyl window from a company that makes wood windows; andersen and pella also make low end vinyl windows.
I like sunrise, okna, and soft lite. All excellent vinyl windows with some great performance numbers.

·
windows & siding
846 Posts
Normally I'm not a fan of the all ultrex Integrity as IMO it is uglier than most good vinyl products and offers the poor performance of lower end vinyl. With a wood window ( as in the wood/ultrex) that is more acceptable as you are trading off performance for looks, but the all ultrex Integrity has few redeeming qualities. That said, one redeeming quality that it has is regarding painting. With a black exterior, the fg does inspire a little bit more confidence.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You can check out BF Rich vinyl windows. They have very good U ratings. We have been selling and installing them for over 20 years. If you are interested in looking at them you can call my boss John Swift at 215-487-3320. We have a showroom in the Roxborough section of Philly.
http://www.bfrich.com/

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wow, I knew that Homesealed would have info on them. Clearly, the window is built on appearance and not tight tolerances with better weatherstripping. Not a good choice for a northern climate in my opinion.

My outside rep over at J & L Building products was a rep with BF Rich previously. Quite a few loyal dealers around these parts with BF Rich. Like the Cabernets just wish they would redesign the sill.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Normally I'm not a fan of the all ultrex Integrity as IMO it is uglier than most good vinyl products and offers the poor performance of lower end vinyl. With a wood window ( as in the wood/ultrex) that is more acceptable as you are trading off performance for looks, but the all ultrex Integrity has few redeeming qualities. That said, one redeeming quality that it has is regarding painting. With a black exterior, the fg does inspire a little bit more confidence.
Home stead. What energy and air leak numbers should I be looking at. This is for own house that has a lot of Windows. Also keeping this place for the long haul. What are best rated long lasting vinyl and metal clad out there. Also any thoughts on the Canadian PVC triple pane. I know a green architect that swears by them.
What numbers should I be looking for. Greatly appreciate the help . Thanks again

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Guys I just found this link that breaks it down into a 2nd grade reading level. Punch in your details and there your list of windows and details.

I did one in Phila PA then Buffalo NY to see what the differences are. They came out exactly the same. It even gives you the brand and manufacturers.

http://efficientwindows.org

http://efficientwindows.org/new_selection1.php

1 - 12 of 12 Posts