Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you ever had to deal with Kohlers warranty department?

First word out if their mouths was we do not cover the cost of repairing the issues our faulty products caused to to failing. Guess they have a lot of warranty claims!

I ain't a fan of their products as every single time I install anything made by them its piss poor quality and most of the time expensive. If the customer really wants to buy that brand I let them deal with the issues that pop up. Well thus job I'm on is for a good friend and I'm trying to sort it. They want to send a local competitor around to check the issue and see if its covered under their warranty. The skin of the tub is delaminating from the fiberglass base so there's an air pocket between the layers that pops as they stand in the tub.

Had other issues with the tub but fixed them. Here's the other issues.

The first pic shows the legs I'm meant to use to set the tub. With the tub sitting on the flat and level you could see in the pic something's seriously wrong with the leg layout. Well it ended up being a leg installed at the factory that was not meant to be there. Easy fix to remove it but the other legs were still no where near the sun floor when the tub was installed.

The other issue was they didn't grind down the tile flanges and edges after pulling them from the mould. They hit it quickly with a grinder but paid no attention to making sure it was done right. Do had to adjust that my self also.

image-465898668.jpg

image-457362296.jpg

image-2186837748.jpg

image-465898668.jpg

image-514527255.jpg

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Eric K said:
That thing looks like a pos. we usually set them in a mortar bed so the bottom is solid.
Your not wrong. Its a $700 tub that's built worse than a $150 tub. Its the first time I ever seen cardboard used to construct a tub skirt!

And as you can see from the same picture how thin that skirt is. Light shines through with zero issue . I think I could poke my finger through it its so thin!

I have set them on plaster for the last 10+ years after having numerous issues with using concrete. It cost a tiny bit more but never one bad bed on lots of shower pans and tubs since swapping to doing that. Much easier to level as well and sets up silly hard.

image-3492705256.jpg

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Kohler will never admit to a faulty product . I installed a toilet that had all the little holes used to help flush the toilet along the rim filled solid with porcelin . They told me to fill the tank with food coloring and flush the toilet and send them the video . :laughing:

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The customer service didnt believe me when I told them the issues. I told them I have pictures on my phone and they want me to send them the pictures! didnt realize they only have 1 year warranty on their products either. I expected them to be at least 3 years maybe 5years!

·
Banned
3,431 Posts
I use Kohler alot on my projects but I purchase it through Ferguson plumbing. I had one issue last year with 6' jetted tub installed in mortar bed and the next am a hairline crack was spotted in finish. They took the old one back and had a new one to me in a week. :thumbup:

I have had nothing but good experience with Kohler. I just had to send a Vikrell wall panel back as it too had a crack in the finish, Ferguson said no problem new panel will be here end of this week. :clap:

Did you buy it from Creepo or Blowes? I would recommend buying it from a reputable plumbing supply house.

·
Banned
3,431 Posts
I did tell them to get it from fergusons but it was $120 cheaper in lowes.
I would set your self up an account with Ferguson and send your clients to your sales gal. I would never allow my clients to buy any materials from creepo or blows or supply anything but accessories and I explain that and why at the first meeting. Any delays from that tub should be billed out and explained to them up front and in your contract.

Now look at the 120 "savings" they are getting. :laughing:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Have you spoken to lowes to see what lowes would do? They obviously sold you a faulty product and they should exchange it with you.

I use kholer a lot, I really like the look that the kholer products give to a bathroom. I never have issues with them regardless of where I purchase it: Lowes, Penmar or Dupont Plumbing, they have all sold me good quality product!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Kohler will never admit to a faulty product . I installed a toilet that had all the little holes used to help flush the toilet along the rim filled solid with porcelin . They told me to fill the tank with food coloring and flush the toilet and send them the video . :laughing:

I had the same thing happen to me with a kohler toilet! I did two bathrooms in the same house with the same toilet. One of them flushed great and the other one didn't clean the bowl real good and had a crappier flush. After a little CSI work I found the holes where glazed over.

Luckily I deal with a small local supplier and they exchanged it for me no problem.

Dave

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
dkillianjr said:
I had the same thing happen to me with a kohler toilet! I did two bathrooms in the same house with the same toilet. One of them flushed great and the other one didn't clean the bowl real good and had a crappier flush. After a little CSI work I found the holes where glazed over.

Luckily I deal with a small local supplier and they exchanged it for me no problem.

Dave
Had a kohler toilet seat (porcielin part) actually sitting crooked. Almost like the mould went off at the factory. Supplier replaced it no problem but still had it installed before we relized it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts