Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
Just admit toilets against the wall look better, they have better function even though you have never seen a cracked cistern I have. Only 4 in 5 years but it happens. I don't work for a lot of big people so that's why I don't see this happen. There's contractors out there who just deal in bariatric construction. They see it all the time and they would normally not even use a toilet with a cistern as some if these people are so big they can't sit on the pan with a cistern in place and will use a flushomerer or similar.
I actually don't think it does. To me it looks like a mistake. Looks like you installed it too close to the wall. But that is because I am used to it.

Having the toilet mounted to the wall may help with older clients, handicap and the like, but I am not going to make all my bathrooms look odd because of 4 or 5 cracked tanks you have seen and the possibility that a obese person may or may not put pressure on it, that may or may not crack it. There is a hole lot more that should be done to protect the client than mounting it to the wall. You should be mounting a crap load of grab bars.

·
Registered
9,560 Posts
7 pages about someone who bought the wrong toilet but has to justify it anyway. Sits to far away from the wall for your taste, just return it for the correct one. There are many out there just check the specs.

With the tank away from the wall the condensation can evaporate ( some of it at least )

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
After following this thread, I've decided the answer is going back to out houses. Just have to decide how far to put them from the home.

Tom
I want mine tight to the back of the house, that way I can make a door from inside and never go out. Genius isn't it?

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
You guys keep installing your cisterns 3" from the walls so you can paint behind them and letting them sweat because you can't figure out a fix to a simple issue the rest if the world figured out years ago lol and I will carry on using the right products and installing them how I install them.

Looks like I'm not using the idiot proof toilets anymore though but you guys should be able to cover the sales for them. If you can't figure out a finished wall distance or how to stop a cistern from sweating then I guess you should steer clear of plumbing lol

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
You guys keep installing your cisterns 3" from the walls so you can paint behind them and letting them sweat because you can't figure out a fix to a simple issue the rest if the world figured out years ago lol and I will carry on using the right products and installing them how I install them.

Looks like I'm not using the idiot proof toilets anymore though but you guys should be able to cover the sales for them. If you can't figure out a finished wall distance or how to stop a cistern from sweating then I guess you should steer clear of plumbing lol
I like the dig about painting, when it really hasn't been brought up by anyone but yourself. I also like the over exaggeration of the spacing. I think all agreed that 1-2" was acceptable, not 3". But exaggerate and belittle away if you feel it justifies your view.

You have even gone as far as to correct our use of the word tank. When it is perfectly acceptable term used by the manufacturer, just like the specs they give for setting the toilet away from the wall.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
No it was not me who said its there to paint behind. We all you you like to skim through and make up stuff people say like a few other posters on these forums but the proof is right on this thread for people to see with their own eyes. I'm saying 3" because you said yours was 3" from the wall. If people think that looks good then good for them. It don't bother me in the slightest where they put their toilets. I want mine to be how they were designed to be. Even kohler who make the idiot prof toilet said the more expensive range are a true 12" Rough in. Not a 14" that will fit a 12" with a massive gap. Again not my words but there's.

There's not one person on here who I would believe if they said it looks better off the wall. If that's the case then space all products of the wall for ease of painting behind. Its a stupid excuse for a gap yet not one person has given a valid reason for the gap.

Also seeings the English invented this thing you call a tank I think the inventor knows best what its called. Its a cistern no mater what you call it here in the US.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
rrk said:
Save all of your money that you spend on Festool and see if you can buy a clue. :whistling
RRK I don't know what your issue is with me and my festool but when ever you find a chance to bash my tools you jump on it. I'm sure its just a jealousy thing but you sure make your self look stupid every time you go on about it. Green eyed monster!

But please do add something of value to the thread because all you have proven on this thread so far is your a very jealous person and you know nothing about plumbing.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Also seeings the English invented this thing you call a tank I think the inventor knows best what its called. Its a cistern no mater what you call it here in the US.
Good think the inventor wasn't from China or India or Russia.... who knows WHAT it would be called!

Just curious, if an American had invented it would they call it a tank in England?

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Brian Peters said:
Good think the inventor wasn't from China or India or Russia.... who knows WHAT it would be called!

Just curious, if an American had invented it would they call it a tank in England?
Good question. I guess if that's its true name as designed then why not. We call vacuum cleaners hoovers in the UK so sometimes names get messed up.

·
Registered
9,560 Posts
RRK I don't know what your issue is with me and my festool but when ever you find a chance to bash my tools you jump on it. I'm sure its just a jealousy thing but you sure make your self look stupid every time you go on about it. Green eyed monster!

But please do add something of value to the thread because all you have proven on this thread so far is your a very jealous person and you know nothing about plumbing.
You have more money than brains, you can't buy brains
Everyone else is a hack to you and you don't have a clue what you are doing

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
rrk said:
You have more money than brains, you can't buy brains
Everyone else is a hack to you and you don't have a clue what you are doing
Where have I said everyone's a hack. This has nothing to do with being a hack and more to do with company's having the true rough in dimensions.

But yes clearly I have no idea what I'm doing lol

·
Registered
Remodel
31,054 Posts
I spec what's required for the job special order or not.
You just got through saying tight to the wall wasn't required. In other words, your way isn't the only way. Sweating is pretty much accepted here - there isn't usually a customer driven requirement. For the one case where the person carpeted their bath, it had to be insulated.

As for cistern vs tank, Kohler makes tanks, except for peculiar ones like their wall mount lavatory cisterns.

121 - 140 of 144 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.