Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
. Just think of all of the condensation trapped behind a toilet tank fastened to the wall.

This would be my concern as well. I was taking off a countertop today in a bathroom (less than 15 yrs old), and noticed that the toilet tank had a lot of condensation on it, as I had to work around it to unfasten the counter. Yes it was an insulated tank. While it may not be a problem in some cases, it will in others, especially if this was to be a standard practice.

In a cosmetic sense I think it looks a bit funny for a north american toilet to be tight to the wall like that. I'd think best reveal is about an inch off, that is what seems to be most common in my experience.

At the end of the day i'd ask the customer, if they aren't happy another toilet could be selected. I've never had it or heard of this being an issue though.

·
Escaped contractor
189 Posts
That vanity top is nice. For a scrub tree it must get pretty big for a slab of that size.

Now that some toilets only use 1 gallon of water a tank of that size is not needed anymore. More toilets will be like the Hatbox style, especially now that American Standard in now owned by a Japanese company.
If you look carefully at the picture, you can see the change in patterns of the the growth rings. Its the same slab, but was cut in half and jointed together. But yes scrub trees grow really fast here and can get really big.

That toilet is a modern toilet with a 4.5 liter full flush and a 3L half.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
Chalk up 2 definite busted ones on one possible, all from large people. One drunk, one elderly and couldn't move well. The third was drunk, but he may have kicked it - I'm not sure if that counts.
Like I said I have never seen it or even heard about it happening until now. But still not enough to change the way it's done.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Cutonce said:
Aus has its own standards and designs. And no that is a connector for a s trap toilet.
I didn't say they were the same standards or designs. I was saying they are a mixture of the 2 systems. The UK uses the same pan connectors as you use but they are rear exit not floor exit.

Here's a UK version. Slightly different design but shows what I'm talking about.

Product Camera accessory Camera lens Lens Pipe

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
Perhaps you can show me where I said my way is the right way! almost certain i didnt say that. I'm not bothered who installs them 1-10" of the wall if that what they like that's their choice. But when a toilet says 12" rough in I expect it to be 12" not 14" because its an idiot proof toilet. I fully get that idiot proof toilets are needed because there's idiots about but they should have the true dimensions on them. Its stupid to have to by a higher end toilet to get a true 12" RO.

Also my example of the rest if the world does it this way means they have zero problem with painting behind them or condensation issues.
You didn't say those words. You didn't have to. So let me ask you which is the right way to do it?

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
TNTSERVICES said:
You didn't say those words. You didn't have to. So let me ask you which is the right way to do it?
I know I didn't say them words. That's why I have no idea why you said I did.

The right way is the way my customer wants it done. In my own house I would put them against the wall. If a customer wants them 2-3" from the wall to paint behind and I can't talk them out of it then they can have it that way. But upto yet in 5 years doing this here in the US not one has said yeah get me a toilet that sits of the wall. Its not like I don't give them the option either. When I remove the old toilet I ask them if they would prefer it closer to the wall so they don't have to clean behind it and it will look nicer. After they see pictures if what I mean they say put it on the wall.

Normally its not an issue as I buy a 12" rough in toilet and its 12" not 14" but it seems I have to now upgrade the toilets to the more expensive true 12" rough in toilets or move the soil flange to a 10" rough in like I had to on my current job.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,053 Posts
and clearly you have no idea what your talking about going on about condensation behind the cistern. Never seen that happen
News flash - it happens all summer here. All it takes is to have the incoming water temp significantly lower than the dew point. I've seen some sweat so bad I thought there was a water leak - big puddle running across the floor.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
News flash - it happens all summer here. All it takes is to have the incoming water temp significantly lower than the dew point. I've seen some sweat so bad I thought there was a water leak - big puddle running across the floor.
Happens here also....

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
I know I didn't say them words. That's why I have no idea why you said I did.

The right way is the way my customer wants it done. In my own house I would put them against the wall. If a customer wants them 2-3" from the wall to paint behind and I can't talk them out of it then they can have it that way. But upto yet in 5 years doing this here in the US not one has said yeah get me a toilet that sits of the wall. Its not like I don't give them the option either. When I remove the old toilet I ask them if they would prefer it closer to the wall so they don't have to clean behind it and it will look nicer. After they see pictures if what I mean they say put it on the wall.

Normally its not an issue as I buy a 12" rough in toilet and its 12" not 14" but it seems I have to now upgrade the toilets to the more expensive true 12" rough in toilets or move the soil flange to a 10" rough in like I had to on my current job.
I said it because I have never heard someone think it was okay to do something that looked stupid. I have never heard someone that thought putting into a position to break is the right way. All of your indications told me that you think the right way to do it is to mount it up against the wall and the wrong way is to leave a gap. So you think leaving a gap is okay?

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
All three of ours do it as well. Our powder room is on a slab and it's the worst. Looks like the toilet is leaking. I even put insulation in the tank and it still does it. Humidity and cold water don't mix. I would never install a toilet tight to the wall. I might get it close, but never touching.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 · (Edited)
hdavis said:
I know it happens and as I said use a insulated cistern. It gonna condensate no matter if its against a wall or not. In a situation like this use the correct products.

As I said before dont use the retro fit insulated cistern kits. Use a real insulated cistern or if you can find one cosmetically you like use a TMV.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
TNTSERVICES said:
I said it because I have never heard someone think it was okay to do something that looked stupid. I have never heard someone that thought putting into a position to break is the right way. All of your indications told me that you think the right way to do it is to mount it up against the wall and the wrong way is to leave a gap. So you think leaving a gap is okay?
Just admit toilets against the wall look better, they have better function even though you have never seen a cracked cistern I have. Only 4 in 5 years but it happens. I don't work for a lot of big people so that's why I don't see this happen. There's contractors out there who just deal in bariatric construction. They see it all the time and they would normally not even use a toilet with a cistern as some if these people are so big they can't sit on the pan with a cistern in place and will use a flushomerer or similar.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,053 Posts
I know it happens and as I said use a insulated cistern. It gonna condensate no matter if its against a wall or not. In a situation like this use the correct products.

As I said before dont use the retro fit insulated cistern kits. Use a real insulated cistern or if you can find one cosmetically you like use a TMV.
LOL, I should install tight to the wall, causing the need to use an insulated tank to prevent mildew, which in most models isn't a stocked item around here. So, in the event of a replacement, I get to special order and move the rough in because you think it looks better and the customer doesn't care? I'll do that, as long as you pay for it if the customer won't. I've only had one want an insulated tank, and they didn't want to move the rough in.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 · (Edited)
hdavis said:
LOL, I should install tight to the wall, causing the need to use an insulated tank to prevent mildew, which in most models isn't a stocked item around here. So, in the event of a replacement, I get to special order and move the rough in because you think it looks better and the customer doesn't care? I'll do that, as long as you pay for it if the customer won't. I've only had one want an insulated tank, and they didn't want to move the rough in.
Like I said if you don't want to use the correct products that's your choice. I spec what's required for the job special order or not.

And I'm curious if you don't fix the sweating issue on the cisterns if this is a common problem in your area. By the way its a cistern not a tank! Then what did you do to stop this? Did you just leave it dripping constantly?

·
Registered
9,560 Posts
Like I said if you don't want to use the correct products that's your choice. I spec what's required for the job special order or not.

And I'm curious if you don't fix the sweating issue on the cisterns if this is a common problem in your area. By the way its a cistern not a tank! Then what did you do to stop this? Did you just leave it dripping constantly?
Please let all of the US toilet manufacturing companies know, that in addition to making toilets whose sizes are 2" off from what they say they are, they are incorrectly labeled as tanks and bowls, they should show in the instructions that the tank should be bolted to the wall, and that BCC is always right and everybody is wrong.

101 - 120 of 144 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.