Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
13 to center on rough.
My earlier post I said 12''. I will eat crow. We tried to keep it between 12 min and 13 max depending on how all the other pipes worked with the layout. It was routine to start layout from the bathrooms out. The plumbers pipe layout trumped all others unless they really screwed up bad.

I could never figure out why the plumbers never backcharged us when we put a screw in a pipe either. :whistling

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Cutonce said:
I'm really surprised at how many people have thought having the tank away from the wall was normal. Here is one I installed the other day here in Australia where its also normal to have the tank against the wall and to fix it to the wall.

And while Im here, when I was doing this bathroom I went to the plumbers supply house and asked for a toilet flange. Everyone stood around scratching their heads and wondered what the heck I was talking about. Turns out they use a toilet connector that looks like this.
The Aussie toilets are a mixture of UK and the US design. The UK version empty through the rear into the wall and use the same rubber gasket toilet connector you have there.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
I'm really surprised at how many people have thought having the tank away from the wall was normal.
It is normal. Normal is what is done the majority of the time. Here, the normal method is having the toilet 1-2" away from the wall.

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
That vanity top is nice. For a scrub tree it must get pretty big for a slab of that size.

Now that some toilets only use 1 gallon of water a tank of that size is not needed anymore. More toilets will be like the Hatbox style, especially now that American Standard in now owned by a Japanese company.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
TNTSERVICES said:
It is normal. Normal is what is done the majority of the time. Here, the normal method is having the toilet 1-2" away from the wall.
Normal for here yes. but not normal for the rest of the world. As I said before the excuse of being able to paint behind is a poor excuse. Cosmetically and functionally they are better against the wall. Less protrusion into the room, better cistern stability and a much cleaner look.

I have not had one customer yet say they would prefer a gap behind the cistern.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Normal for here yes. but not normal for the rest of the world. As I said before the excuse of being able to paint behind is a poor excuse. Cosmetically and functionally they are better against the wall. Less protrusion into the room, better cistern stability and a much cleaner look.

Don't people sh!t in a hole in the ground in most other parts of the world?

·
K&B Plus...
242 Posts
If you ever had a customer throw a complete throw down hissy fit over not being able to do her 3/4" tongue and groove wainscoting over her bathroom walls because there wasn't enough room behind the toilet for it's thickness, then you'd appreciate that clearance a heck of a lot better!

Only the wall covering thickness at the time of the new construction can be accurately known. Many people like to change that material when remodeling. Without a toilet able to handle that diva's solid wood wainscoting or hand fired perfect shade of peridot subway tile with the crackle glaze, you get a lot fewer decor choices, or a lot more money for demolition of that concrete slab by the plumber to move the waste pipe to accommodate those decor choices.

Wait....you're a plumber? That explain$ your preference, doesn't it? :laughing:

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts

Why should I care what the rest of the world does? There is no epidemic of broken tanks in America. In the 10+ years of doing this, I have never heard of this happening. In my 38 years of life, I have never heard of this happening.

I have not had one customer say anything about the gap. So where does that leave us? You thinking that your way is the only right way and the rest of us don't care. It's really a silly point. It doesn't matter one way or the other.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Live_oak said:
If you ever had a customer throw a complete throw down hissy fit over not being able to do her 3/4" tongue and groove wainscoting over her bathroom walls because there wasn't enough room behind the toilet for it's thickness, then you'd appreciate that clearance a heck of a lot better!

Only the wall covering thickness at the time of the new construction can be accurately known. Many people like to change that material when remodeling. Without a toilet able to handle that diva's solid wood wainscoting or hand fired perfect shade of peridot subway tile with the crackle glaze, you get a lot fewer decor choices, or a lot more money for demolition of that concrete slab by the plumber to move the waste pipe to accommodate those decor choices.

Well if I was in that situation which I have been numerous times I would use a toilet that would give me the clearance I need. This is why these measurements should be accurate and not +/- 2" . What's crazy is 5 different 12" rough in toilets can be as much as 3" different in center location.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
TNTSERVICES said:
Why should I care what the rest of the world does? There is no epidemic of broken tanks in America. In the 10+ years of doing this, I have never heard of this happening. In my 38 years of life, I have never heard of this happening.

I have not had one customer say anything about the gap. So where does that leave us? You thinking that your way is the only right way and the rest of us don't care. It's really a silly point. It doesn't matter one way or the other.

I'm not saying you should care and I'm not saying my ways right or wrong. What I'm saying is the gap is not needed. Its not needed in the rest of the world and its not needed here. I seek perfection in everything I do and a gap no matter if its 1/2" or 4" is not needed and in my eyes looks stupid. Customers agree because ioto yet not one has asked me not to put it back to the wall. i cant count one who said "yeah leave it off the wall like that as it looks nice and i can paint behind it every weekend" lol.
Do we start leaving gaps behind basins, cabinets, bathtubs etc etc so we can paint behind them too.

·
Registered
9,574 Posts

It all comes to to the fact that someone did not look at the specs of the toilet , every toilet has specs indicating dimensions. Someone never looked at them and blames the manufacturer for variances of which there are none. Especially a 2" variance.

I for one would be very glad to find a toilet that had a 2" clearance on a 12" rough so Mrs. Diva can get here marble chair rail installed just where she wants it. A few months ago I was thrilled to find a toilet that had clearance behind the bowl for baseboard heat.

Next he will be moving faucets to 3" centers and having the cold on the left. Just think of all of the condensation trapped behind a toilet tank fastened to the wall.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,217 Posts
There is no epidemic of broken tanks in America. In the 10+ years of doing this, I have never heard of this happening. In my 38 years of life, I have never heard of this happening.
Actually, I know a fellow who broke two tanks before he had his gastric bypass surgery. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. :thumbsup:

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
I'm not saying you should care and I'm not saying my ways right or wrong. What I'm saying is the gap is not needed. Its not needed in the rest of the world and its not needed here. I seek perfection in everything I do and a gap no matter if its 1/2" or 4" is not needed and in my eyes looks stupid. Customers agree because ioto yet not one has asked me not to put it back to the wall. i cant count one who said "yeah leave it off the wall like that as it looks nice and i can paint behind it every weekend" lol.
Do we start leaving gaps behind basins, cabinets, bathtubs etc etc so we can paint behind them too.
Sure you are. You said it looks stupid, every one in the world does it your way, and that no customer has ever asked for a gap. Sounds like you are saying your way is the right way. I have yet to hear you say a gap is okay. In fact it's the opposite. You have given every reason why it is not okay to do. Seems like you are saying that my is the wrong way.

I contend that having it tight to the wall or with a gap makes NO difference. It is of little consequence. The vast majority of toilets in this area have gaps. SO that;s the way we do it. Your reasons for having it tight are not convincing enough. Imagine for a moment that you had always seen a gap, what would you think then?

And while there is no need for the gap, there is no need for it to be mounted tight either. It's just a preference. Space has a lot to do with how and why things are done the way they are around the rest of the world.

I also never seriously said that it's for painting behind. In fact I would either like it far enough forward to allow it to be painted or close enough that it cannot be seen.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,084 Posts
There is no epidemic of broken tanks in America. In the 10+ years of doing this, I have never heard of this happening. In my 38 years of life, I have never heard of this happening.
Chalk up 2 definite busted ones on one possible, all from large people. One drunk, one elderly and couldn't move well. The third was drunk, but he may have kicked it - I'm not sure if that counts.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
rrk said:
It all comes to to the fact that someone did not look at the specs of the toilet , every toilet has specs indicating dimensions. Someone never looked at them and blames the manufacturer for variances of which there are none. Especially a 2" variance.

I for one would be very glad to find a toilet that had a 2" clearance on a 12" rough so Mrs. Diva can get here marble chair rail installed just where she wants it. A few months ago I was thrilled to find a toilet that had clearance behind the bowl for baseboard heat.

Next he will be moving faucets to 3" centers and having the cold on the left. Just think of all of the condensation trapped behind a toilet tank fastened to the wall.
Seems you're wrong again. The specs are on the outside of the box. Clearly shows every important measurement but it shows none for the distance from cistern to wall and clearly you have no idea what your talking about going on about condensation behind the cistern. Never seen that happen and if the citation called for it and it was gonna happen I would use a toilet with a insulated cistern.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Actually, I know a fellow who broke two tanks before he had his gastric bypass surgery. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. :thumbsup:
Heck.... The offset tank probably saved a whole wall from destruction.;)

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
TNTSERVICES said:
Sure you are. You said it looks stupid, every one in the world does it your way, and that no customer has ever asked for a gap. Sounds like you are saying your way is the right way. I have yet to hear you say a gap is okay. In fact it's the opposite. You have given every reason why it is not okay to do. Seems like you are saying that my is the wrong way.

I contend that having it tight to the wall or with a gap makes NO difference. It is of little consequence. The vast majority of toilets in this area have gaps. SO that;s the way we do it. Your reasons for having it tight are not convincing enough. Imagine for a moment that you had always seen a gap, what would you think then?

And while there is no need for the gap, there is no need for it to be mounted tight either. It's just a preference. Space has a lot to do with how and why things are done the way they are around the rest of the world.

I also never seriously said that it's for painting behind. In fact I would either like it far enough forward to allow it to be painted or close enough that it cannot be seen.
Perhaps you can show me where I said my way is the right way! almost certain i didnt say that. I'm not bothered who installs them 1-10" of the wall if that what they like that's their choice. But when a toilet says 12" rough in I expect it to be 12" not 14" because its an idiot proof toilet. I fully get that idiot proof toilets are needed because there's idiots about but they should have the true dimensions on them. Its stupid to have to by a higher end toilet to get a true 12" RO.

Also my example of the rest if the world does it this way means they have zero problem with painting behind them or condensation issues.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Perhaps you can show me where I said my way is the right way! almost certain i didnt say that. I'm not bothered who installs them 1-10" of the wall if that what they like that's their choice. But when a toilet says 12" rough in I expect it to be 12" not 14" because its an idiot proof toilet. I fully get that idiot proof toilets are needed because there's idiots about but they should have the true dimensions on them. Its stupid to have to by a higher end toilet to get a true 12" RO.

Also my example of the rest if the world does it this way means they have zero problem with painting behind them or condensation issues.
Out of thanks...so +1 thanks... just give us the damn correct number... we're not here to outguess each toilet company.

(I've had this issue/problem before, and I always hard measure the damn thing out.... meaning I have to have the toilet on site during rough, unpackage it, measure it, repackage it.... move it around safely..:censored:)

81 - 100 of 144 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.