Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 144 Posts

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Well there a few reasons they are better against the wall. One reason is its because they are meant to be against the wall for cosmetics and for function. the pan its self is not designed to support the load of the cistern when bigger people use the toilets. Some toilets even have holes through the rear of the cistern to secure them to blocking or studs.

You also don't need to clean behind them when installed correctly. No dirt can get behind them if they are tight to the wall.

Here's an example of how they are normally secured. If they don't have the holes I use a couple of dabs of silicone.

View attachment 101750
Mine is a one piece does that make a difference?

·
Registered
818 Posts
You also don't need to clean behind them when installed correctly. No dirt can get behind them if they are tight to the wall
View attachment 101750
Dirt can get EVERYWHERE man! Especially in a rental!! We always try to get our toilets tight against the wall. I've seen what they look like afterwards. Hair, dust, cleaning products, all built up behind that tank because you can't clean behind it. But they do "look better" like that.

Besides, who puts all their weight against the toilet tank when they're on the crapper?? It's not an easy chair you know!

Reactions: TNTRenovate

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
DaVinciRemodel said:
Barri, I’m a bit lost here. I’ve been remodeling bathrooms for 25 years now and, with the exception of a wall mounted unit, they have all been 1” – 2” off the wall :blink:
I'm completely lost here. Maybe its a regional thing? Any time I see a toilet that close I think to myself that plumber almost F'd himself there. And in that pic he posted there's only 1/2" for the lid to sit on. I don't really like that idea.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Myself, never really looked/measured the distance before!! Mine in my house is about 10' away, with a shelf above it, that's the way it was when I bought the place 29 years ago. AND works just fine daily! For cleaning and painting, a few inches does help out now and then! NOW, if you need to bolt a tank on the wall, you got a few issues in my opinion, not enough support in the floor/bolts to secure it properly, just a over-load off weight / then you need to look at other option / doctor or diet, or you need to do matters in a different location, more appropriate for what is needed at the time in need! LOL

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
We need some input from plumbers here...I use toilets often but rarely install them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've done a few bathrooms in my time...I'd guess that most toilets i've seen, probably have about a 1'' gap from wall. some more, some less...

·
Registered
Remodel
30,176 Posts
I've seen them too tight to the wall, and I've seen then a couple inches out. With a 2 piece, a large person or ill person can (and has) snapped the tank. Drunk people can snap them no matter what you do - maybe PL it to the wall:whistling

Set it how you want it, and then block behind it if breaking the tank is a concern. I don't like hard to the wall installs because 12" isn't 12", it's whatever the toilet manufacturer made it, and however the plumber drilled it / wall location at the top of the toilet (A lot of walls don't look the way they do in CAD drawings). I had a 12" Kohler that wouldn't go into an existing 12" rough in by about 1/4" - the prior toilet fit fine. Had to go with a 10".

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I would think tight would cause mold issues when the tank sweats and is in contact with the sheetrock. The airspace allows drying and prevents the direct transfer of moisture.

I do think 2" is a little excessive... more like 1/2" to 1" would be ideal imo.

·
K&B Plus...
242 Posts
The increased versatility of the "freestanding" tanked toilet is why now almost all of the manufacturers have constructed them this way. The "added" room behind the tank allows for a variety of decorative choices that the old style of tank tight to the wall didn't. You can actually fit a mini roller back there to point the wall. You can clad it in a thick handmade subway tile. You can do a thick wood wainscotting. You can even get wallpaper back there now. In modern minimalist home decor, toilets are coming away from being shoved in a corner or hidden in a closet. Look at the Kohler Hatbox toilet, which was the darling of upper end designers until the Kohler Numi came along.

Hatbox

Numi

The space behind the tank is an intentional design, not a "mistake".

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Some strange ideas here of why people think there should be a 2" gap behind the cistern. I have never in 15years of plumbing had one spaced that far off the wall. Reasons like its there to paint behind or so it can be cleaned behind are just silly. The US is the only place I ever seen them designed like this. I'm used to concealed cistern wall hung units, close coupled, low level and high level cistern all of which have zero gap and never seen an issue.

Of course free standing pans are a whole different matter. They are designed to be off the wall.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Live_oak said:
The increased versatility of the "freestanding" tanked toilet is why now almost all of the manufacturers have constructed them this way. The "added" room behind the tank allows for a variety of decorative choices that the old style of tank tight to the wall didn't. You can actually fit a mini roller back there to point the wall. You can clad it in a thick handmade subway tile. You can do a thick wood wainscotting. You can even get wallpaper back there now. In modern minimalist home decor, toilets are coming away from being shoved in a corner or hidden in a closet. Look at the Kohler Hatbox toilet, which was the darling of upper end designers until the Kohler Numi came along.

Hatbox

Numi

The space behind the tank is an intentional design, not a "mistake".
There ya go barri... Festoilets

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Some strange ideas here of why people think there should be a 2" gap behind the cistern. I have never in 15years of plumbing had one spaced that far off the wall. Reasons like its there to paint behind or so it can be cleaned behind are just silly. The US is the only place I ever seen them designed like this. I'm used to concealed cistern wall hung units, close coupled, low level and high level cistern all of which have zero gap and never seen an issue.

Of course free standing pans are a whole different matter. They are designed to be off the wall.
15 years? You look about 25 years old!

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
I used to be concerned about that spacing. But now, if a 12" rough-in toilet leaves too much space for a proper 12" flange, that's just the way it's going to be. Sell it, or blame the manufacturer.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
...The US is the only place I ever seen them designed like this....
Your English accent has been throwing us off. What you've been trying to say is that having learned the wrong way to do it elsewhere, you've been having a hard time learning the correct (i.e. American/Canadian) way. You're welcome.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
CarpenterSFO said:
Your English accent has been throwing us off. What you've been trying to say is that having learned the wrong way to do it elsewhere, you've been having a hard time learning the correct (i.e. American) way. You're welcome.
Yep every other country must have it wrong. Better start putting 2" blocking on wall hung concealed cistern toilets as well so we can paint behind them lol

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have never installed a toilet with a wall hung tank (cistern as you call it). I don't think I've even seen one with holes for wall mounting, except for some ancient ones.

The toilets we install have tanks mounted to the bowl.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
tyb525 said:
I have never installed a toilet with a wall hung tank (cistern as you call it). I don't think I've even seen one with holes for wall mounting, except for some ancient ones.

The toilets we install have tanks mounted to the bowl.
The toilets with tanks mounted to the pan are called close coupled toilets. I have prob installed close to 150 since starting plumbing. Low level cisterns are the type where the cistern is mounted about 6-10" above the pan. Not really seen anymore and high level cisterns 4-5ft above pan are still sold and installed. I have put a lot of these in also and they have to be mounted to the wall with screws or brackets.

There's just no logical reason for a cistern not to be on the wall. Most of my works higher end stuff so customers ain't impressed with 2" gaps cosmetically and I don't blame them as it looks cheap and tacky.

21 - 40 of 144 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.