Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this is a odd one. When ever I set a toilet I check the company's rough measurements 99% of the time they are 12" but they leave enough room with the design of the pan so that the baseboards can install behind. Well kohler design there's different that others. That say their toilets are 12" rough in but are really 10" so that when set at 12" they give you 2" to get baseboards behind the toilet. Well I thought this was great because I can sneak the baseboards behind the toilets when I need to. One big problem though. The whole pan and cistern is spaced for the 2" so the cistern is also 2" of the wall. What kind of idiots design a expensive toilet to have a design like this. What on earth are you meant to do with the 2" gap behind the cistern? It looks like crap.

This how they normally end up when I install other brands. But this kohler is gonna look stupid with a 2" gap behind the lid!!

image-2659836621.jpg

image-2088929403.jpg

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I dunno doesn't look terrible...

·
Registered
11,453 Posts
The Cadet 3 is even worse, as I recall.

Tell the client they are designed that way to make it easier to clean. Easier to paint behind it, too.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's American standard in the pic. It's touching the wall. Im cutting the floors and drains out now so I can move it back enough to close the 2" gap. I guess the people at kohler who design this stuff have zero experience in the plumbing industry and how stuff is installed.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
That's American standard in the pic. It's touching the wall. Im cutting the floors and drains out now so I can move it back enough to close the 2" gap. I guess the people at kohler who design this stuff have zero experience in the plumbing industry and how stuff is installed.
LOL looked like a tight 2 inches.

·
Registered
8,977 Posts

So instead of getting a different toilet you're making it a 10" rough? Now you are limiting their future choices for toilets. The choices of 10 and 14 rough in toilets are getting smaller and smaller every day.

Just the get the correct toilet. Look at the PDF specs, it shows all distances from bowl to wall and tank to wall.

Some toilets the tanks are what determines the distance some the bowl.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They don't do a 14" rough in in the style they want. It won't limit the next person choice on toilet as I checked 6 other kohler toilets in lowes and they were all designed the same way. I'm also not worried what happens when they remodel the bathroom again. That's something they can worry about in 15-20 years when it gets torn out. If they want to use a true 12" rough in they can move the flange back to its original spot.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well apparently it prevents condensation from creating a mold issue and potential health hazard, ma'am. It's going to be mandated in all new toilet installations to comply with the tenets of the Affordable Care Act. No ma'am, I don't believe that Obama has any business in your bathroom either, but my hands are tied. Thank you for being so understanding.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I just realize this morning that my toilet in my bathroom (that I remodeled) is 2" away from the wall. It's been like that for 4 years and I've never noticed.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
slowsol said:
I just realize this morning that my toilet in my bathroom (that I remodeled) is 2" away from the wall. It's been like that for 4 years and I've never noticed.
I don't think I've ever seen a toilet that's was closer than one inch to the wall. Looks nice close though.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
BC I think you are fvcked in the head, my toilet is 1-3/4" from the wall (I just measured it because apparently I have no life)...how else would you clean behind it (well I don't actually clean behind it)...

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well there a few reasons they are better against the wall. One reason is its because they are meant to be against the wall for cosmetics and for function. the pan its self is not designed to support the load of the cistern when bigger people use the toilets. Some toilets even have holes through the rear of the cistern to secure them to blocking or studs.

You also don't need to clean behind them when installed correctly. No dirt can get behind them if they are tight to the wall.

Here's an example of how they are normally secured. If they don't have the holes I use a couple of dabs of silicone.

image-3815527450.jpg

1 - 20 of 144 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.