Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honestly had no idea what I had in my hands. I coach a high school baseball team with another guy and he asked if I would take a look at this thing. He said it was a foot rest. Dunno, but it was damn heavy. Really damn heavy. At the least it was solid brass everywhere.

This piece of wood was junk. Cracked in 3 places, 2 knots...I start looking at just plain ol' gluing the crack together shaking my head thinking it's just about useless. Had a dovetail spline on the ends that was iffy....really this thing needed a new piece, but I went with it.

Glue came out fine, then I started looking at it. Some nut case used a grinder to sand it. The stain job was putrid. There was a small bondo patch on the back. I'm still thinking to myself that it is a stand alone piece, not knowing what it went to. So I stripped it pretty good, stained it and put the lacquer to it and it looked so much better.

Hand it to the guy and he's ****ting himself "dude....this is fricken awesome" So he explains further what it was. It's a foot rest for an antique barber chair called Koch.

He said it was worth 7 grand :laughing: Dunno about that, but these chairs are pretty cool looking. I need to go over and see it.

I don't have any pictures of his chair but this is the identical footrest, so I'm thinking it's this chair. They aren't cheap for sure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/antique-bar...08002&pid=100013&prg=1004&rk=5&#ht_500wt_1414

Courtesy of ebay. Not my picture. Just thought it was a cool piece of equipment.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts