Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a call from HO on Siding Job scheduled for spring.

He didn't seem to trust my recomendations for removing the double layer of shake siding,insulate,tape,and reside so he
emailed the Manufacturer for their recomendations.

Manufacturer says to go over shakes with double faced foil, seal joints,and then tyvek over before siding.

Doesn't he realize that we would need 3 1/2" nails which would probably tend to sag in time rendering any warranty useless?
The shakes nor the insulation wouldt have very limited verticle stregnth for the nails.

It doesn't feel right to me,so I need to convince HO that taking my route will be a better quality job.

Maybe some feedback from some of the Pro installers can give me a leg to stand on here...................or not.:whistling

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Kind of hard to challenge the MFG's written recommendation ::wink::

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I usually just say, "This is what I do for a living, I know the right way."
"The person that refered me to you thought I did it right, you should trust me to as well."

That can be hard to swallow for some customers. Remeber fight or flight. People tend to distrust whet they are told but believe what they say. I use reason and influential questions. I.E. I lead them down a path to say what you said..

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
I usually just say, "This is what I do for a living, I know the right way."
"The person that refered me to you thought I did it right, you should trust me to as well."
That is what you say in response to a MFG's recommendation :blink:

·
Balding quickly
954 Posts
That is what you say in response to a MFG's recommendation :blink:
Yes, its my business therefore I am responsible for the finished product. If the manufacturer says to put it on Third layer and I think it will make a ****ty finished product that I cant be proud of I wouldnt do it regardless.
I can sign away my warrantee but where I live if it looks like crap its going to come back either way.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll have to ask him if he got an email from the manufacturer,but he said he spoke with him over the phone.

I've known this HO since I was 10,an old neighbor,so I know how opinionated he can be and he sticks to his guns.
People use to shy away from him in the clubs,bacause it was always"agree with me or be ready for a good argument."

I just want to cover me arse so I'm going to get written approval from the manufacturer.

Just realized also that I'll have to go to 5" corners just to get solid nailing.
Looks like it's time to refigure the price on a few things here.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I'll have to ask him if he got an email from the manufacturer,but he said he spoke with him over the phone.

I've known this HO since I was 10,an old neighbor,so I know how opinionated he can be and he sticks to his guns.
People use to shy away from him in the clubs,bacause it was always"agree with me or be ready for a good argument."

I just want to cover me arse so I'm going to get written approval from the manufacturer.

Just realized also that I'll have to go to 5" corners just to get solid nailing.
Looks like it's time to refigure the price on a few things here.
This is a recipe for disasster. Walk away while you still can.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Yes, its my business therefore I am responsible for the finished product. If the manufacturer says to put it on Third layer and I think it will make a ****ty finished product that I cant be proud of I wouldnt do it regardless.
I can sign away my warrantee but where I live if it looks like crap its going to come back either way.
That's ok...

The HO will get the other guy...who can follow directions and is less.

No offense, but you know that is what will happen no matter how hard you try and sell yourself.
A contractor will rarely, if ever, trump a MFG's written recommendation.

Cooke's post is the correct course of action - but you are free to run your business however you desire.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Just got a call from HO on Siding Job scheduled for spring.

He didn't seem to trust my recomendations for removing the double layer of shake siding,insulate,tape,and reside so he
emailed the Manufacturer for their recomendations.

Manufacturer says to go over shakes with double faced foil, seal joints,and then tyvek over before siding.

Doesn't he realize that we would need 3 1/2" nails which would probably tend to sag in time rendering any warranty useless?
The shakes nor the insulation wouldt have very limited verticle stregnth for the nails.

It doesn't feel right to me,so I need to convince HO that taking my route will be a better quality job.

Maybe some feedback from some of the Pro installers can give me a leg to stand on here...................or not.:whistling
Tell the HO to have the manufacturer install the siding then.

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
That can be hard to swallow for some customers. Remeber fight or flight. People tend to distrust whet they are told but believe what they say. I use reason and influential questions. I.E. I lead them down a path to say what you said..

Say, what?!

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Last night I signed on for windows with another HO,where I'll be doing siding in the spring.
The wife insisted I remove the old siding for inspection purposes because of one small spot where the shakes wouldn'd hold paint.
Don't figure,she has a single layer of shakes that were always maintained and in good shape.
It all seems to come down to what each HO wants,and as long as it isn't going to cause problems down the road,I'll do whatever it takes to a point.
Since some of these applications aren't time tested,Manufacturer rules apply.

Just have to have everything in writing!;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts