Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me of something that works to stop knots from bleeding thro? Besides Shellac, Kilz or aluminum paint (none of these seems to do it) :rolleyes:
The subject is...... regular interior preprimed trim with white semigloss over.
Thanx

·
Registered
16 Posts
Knots

sherry_31 said:
Can anybody tell me of something that works to stop knots from bleeding thro? Besides Shellac, Kilz or aluminum paint (none of these seems to do it) :rolleyes:
Thanx
Sherry
knots can be a real pain, more then likely the wood is dry but the knots are not. lol, no pun intended. knots will take 2 years to cure out all the way, even if your using kiln dryed wood. i have had many problems with knots causing blissters and bleeding . i would try to sand off all material on knots and run a heater at full blast for a few days, then use a water based poly over them then primer with kills then paint. let me know if you have any luck . peace, dave out :Thumbs:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
knots

Quality Painter said:
Sherry
knots can be a real pain, more then likely the wood is dry but the knots are not. lol, no pun intended. knots will take 2 years to cure out all the way, even if your using kiln dryed wood. i have had many problems with knots causing blissters and bleeding . i would try to sand off all material on knots and run a heater at full blast for a few days, then use a water based poly over them then primer with kills then paint. let me know if you have any luck . peace, dave out :Thumbs:
Hi Dave
They sure are a pain, i think you answered my question well as weve tried a # of different products including Bin as Prowall Guy described and that hasnt worked either not work either...Anyway i'll think i something myself and maybe i'll become rich haha :cool: Thanks
Sherry

·
Registered
92 Posts
sherry_31 said:
Thanx
Try spraying BIN with two coats- usually works for us

·
Registered
2 Posts
sherry_31 said:
Thanx
bins is a great stain blocker great for knot bleed allways prime preprimed to guarante a long lasting paint job.

·
Registered
431 Posts
shellac doesnt' work for killing knots?

I read that someone here hasn't had good luck with shellac killing knots?!?
BIN is a white pigmented shellac, and has always worked on every knot
I have applied to it. I also read someone say it takes 2 years for knots
to fully cure, I have painted over wood that was lumbered 50 years ago, and
the knots are still 'active'. What you have to understand is that in order for
a primer to kill a knot stain, it has to polymerise - another word for dry - before the tannins can bleed thru. And BIN being Alcohol based, dries the fastest of any of the 'quick' dry primers. Although lately is seems, that some manufactureres and paint stores are saying shellac based primers are 'old' technology. And are now pushing quick dry primers formulated with Vinyl-Alkyd Toluenes, such as California's Wipe out primer, or Ace alkyd Stain Halter.
And Pratt and Lambert's odorless stain killer, for exterior work especially, since Bin is very sensitive to moisture. Although, I have experimented with Applying Pratt and Lambert Accolade paint to wood previously done with poly, without priming. And the poly killed all the knots great.

-PlainPainter

·
Registered
89 Posts
I didn’t think a whole lot could bleed through shellac. They must be some damn nasty knots. I do remember a trim with one knot hole that would bleed sap in tear drops. I ended up cutting it out and reforming the trim with Bondo. It worked. :cheesygri

·
Registered
1 Posts
Zinzer is one of the best products out there to use...
I highly recomend it!!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Funny, sherry keeps saying shes used BIN, but everyone keeps telling her BIN.

Feel like no ones listening to you?

Sounds to me you need to use a product to remove as much tannin/sap as possible.

Look at your home improvement store, I know Olympic at Lowes came out with a new product for decks to remove tannin for red wood and such. I'm not sure if there is a product made to remove sap from wood, but look in the paint section. If that works, still use 2 coats of BIN on it (bleed on the primer through is always normal, but the primer should "lock" the tanning)

Heres can idea that might not work, but could be worth a try, try soaking the knot with mineral spirits, then using a dry-vac to suck the tannin. Again, not sure it if it would even work, but worth a try.

If none of that works (atleast clean it as best as possible) I guess what PlainPainter suggested would be your best shot, the Vinyl-Alkyd Toluenes paints.

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
...and it's under picture posts, which I don't think existed back then
Lol
I think I'll move it

·
Registered
145 Posts
Wipe knots with xlyol, then put an immediate coat of B-I-N on. Wait 1/2 hour, put 2nd. coat B-I-N on. Wait 45 min. and put 3rd. coat B-I-N on. No knot should show through (works on new pine or cedar anyways, with cedar may have to prime twice.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts