Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While Using The Mud For Knock Down Textureing, How Do You Prevent The Texture From Going Flat Instead Of Knocking Down?

Thanks For Any Help
Fred

·
Registered
246 Posts
Fred1123 said:
While Using The Mud For Knock Down Textureing, How Do You Prevent The Texture From Going Flat Instead Of Knocking Down?

Thanks For Any Help
Fred
You have to wait a while so it sets up. But don't wait to long. I would spray some on a sheet and play with it until you get the look you want.

·
Banned
39 Posts
I've seen it applied with one guy spraying and the other guy knocking down behind him. The knock down guy would give the spray guy about a 5 minute head start. I'm sure they have to get a feel for how long to let it set due to varying temperatures and humidity levels.
R

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Fred1123 said:

Thanks For Any Help
Fred
Prime everything first or the mud on the joints will absorb the moisture faster than the rest of the sheet. You probably already considered that but i thought i'd throw it in for others who might read the thread.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
I don't mean to rain on any bodys parade but i don't really care for the knock down texture look. I think nothing looks more outstanding than blue board and old school plaster job. Where the walls are smooth as silk and take paint outstanding. I love watching homeimprovement tv when a oldschool guy is laying plaster over blue board and he can really work it like butter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The lighter you spray the easier it is knock down. when you want a drag finish (6+" of knock down lines) you need to open up the gun crank up the pressure and move fast

·
Registered
8 Posts
being a taper i wish everybody used knock down, but i prefer a smoothwall over it anyday, it looks so much cleaner. When its done right!!!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
No a drywall guy here, but I've done knockdown before and have had good finish results (depending on the pressure you use to knock down) by looking at the splatter at an angle against a light and waiting until the wet "shine" is mostly gone before knocking down.. If it too wet you may get large flat spots, but if its a BIT firmed up...well not really FIRMED up..it easier to control the finished looked. If its too wet and you even smear a small area, its hard to make look good.

Dale

1 - 10 of 10 Posts