Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sick of spending $35 a pair for gel kneepads that are junked out after only a couple jobs. I prolonged the life of the last pair by wire tying a pair of 1/2" dense foam liners into them, but the extra bulk make them difficult to wear.

How are you guys protecting your knees? By the end of the day yesterday, I could barely get up & down off the floor. Hot spots after a few minutes made it a very miserable day.:eek:

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked their site & they look awesome. Trouble is, closest distributor is 3 hours away. I don't get to KC very often. What price range am I looking at? I don't have a problem with spending the coin on high quality equipment, just wanna know a ballpark.

·
Mickey
105 Posts
I also have the ProKnee pads and they are great. The aren't cheap but good tools never are. You won't be sorry spending the money on them, although as Floordude says they take a while to get used to.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I checked their site & they look awesome. Trouble is, closest distributor is 3 hours away. I don't get to KC very often. What price range am I looking at? I don't have a problem with spending the coin on high quality equipment, just wanna know a ballpark.
I ordered directly from them a few years ago and it was about $240, shipped 2 day air, for the 1" padding. They are clunky to walk around in, but they are the only knee pads I can work a full day in and still be able to walk at the end of it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I found the Proknees to be great if your doing wide open spaces but in small kitchens and baths they are a bit cumbersome. They can scratch a wood floor if your not careful too.

That being said , once you get use to them you can forget you have them on.....Until you kneel on your thumb!

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got the green light from the accountant (my wife), so I can see a pair in my not so distant future. Expensive? Yeah, they are, but like someone said, good tools always are & I own a lot of good tools. The alternative as I see it is to continue deteriorating my knees to the point of not being able to make a living. From that perspective, they're pretty cheap.

Thanks for everyones guidance.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I see you have already purchased these so I am a little late but for others looking for a good knee pad check out the Blaklader pants with knee pads. You can get them with 2 different pads, I have the heavy ones and also have the lighter ones on the way. I got mine from contractors solutions. I personally can't stand any straps wrapped around my legs and these have none. The pads tuck into a pocket [open from the bottom] on the knees. I feel like I have sponge bob stuck in my pant legs with the heavy duty pads but at the end of the day my knees are fine. I just finished a hardwood floor and a ceramic bathroom and no sore knees. I do recommend ordering one size larger on the pants as mine are snugger than my Wranglers or Carharts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
proknee

the proknees are the way to go for 200 bucks they are awesome, i spent thousands on kneepads over the years cause others just do not last best investment i made in my business because of the back and knees being saved, and when u do about 750,000 ft of vct a year like i do, u gotta have the best. U r right Mike kneeling on the ol thumb hurts lol

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found the Proknees to be great if your doing wide open spaces but in small kitchens and baths they are a bit cumbersome. They can scratch a wood floor if your not careful too.

That being said , once you get use to them you can forget you have them on.....Until you kneel on your thumb!
This past week, I finally got to spend some serious time on my knees with my new pads. After reading your post, I was expecting them to be awkward in the small spaces, but I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly I forgot they were even on, until I stepped on my thumb:laughing: I'm a quick study though & only had to make that mistake once on the whole job.

Again, I really appreciate all the advice I got in this thread. This is by far the best $250 I spent in a long time. I've been contemplating my flooring career being over in a few years because of knee pain, but now, I seriously believe my career has been extended by years.:clap::clap:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts