Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry if this question that has been asked previous
How do you estimate kitchenkabinets?
I have a kitchen with 15 kabinet doors and 4 drawers to paint.
Including prep work, sand, prime, taking all handles and other screws out. Pretty much taking the doors down. Both sides of the doors.
Almost same color as is.
I use brush no spray.
Thank you so much for any help

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
You're in luck, I just did 14 doors and 4 drawers last month. $1,200.00.
This was over mica. I use a 2-part epoxy paint (expensive) and sprayed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, I guess I will need about 3 days @ 7-8 hours. Not to sure I painted my own kabinets and that is how long it took. Of course with interruption from cat and kid...plus it took me 3 coats.
I rather take some more time and do it right. Plus the brush is not as quick as the spray. I`d like to spray, but don`t have any experience with that. I would love to try it. one day I will have to to learn. I think for that I will have to take the doors to my garage. Witch I think would be the best either way.
How long did it take you? What spraying equipment did you use?
I use Manner Hall Pittsburgh paint, I like it the best so far.
Thank you again

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Day 1: 8 hrs. Take down, strip hardware, sand, set up and 1st coat. I don't use primer with epoxy paints unless there are deep scratches.
Wait 48 hrs. for paint to cure.
Day 2: 4 hrs. Light sanding and paint. It doesn't take this long but still blows half a day.
Wait another 48 hrs.
Day 3: Deliver and install. Again, it doesn't take this long but 1/2 a day is gone.

For a mirror finish with epoxies it's still hard to beat an old Bink's air gun. HVLP guns just don't have the right dispersion pattern (they spit little blobs of paint and depend on the leveling ability of the paint).

This job was marginal for spray vs. brush. I can roll and tip and come close to a spray finish but on this job I wanted the mirror look. Spray takes more setup and cleanup time and is best for larger jobs. You also need a Tyvek suit, respirator and a place to work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you.
I do have the place to paint, though I am thinking about rolling it. It will probably take the same time since I don`t have experience with spraying yet and that is a good costumer I would not want to upset.
I also endet up estimating the whole kitchen and some lovely closetdoors :rolleyes:
unfortionally here I could not charge that much. But all in all I put the price to 1,700.00. I got to stripp wallpaper and paint 3doors, 2 windows. The cabinets are in plain wood so I will need to prime.
And that mustard yellow ceiling...
Also the man misscounted there are 20 normal size doors 10 small ones and 14 drawers :eek: yeah I know..
I know the price for that is very low, but this is my first job in this town, and I really really need it!
Gotta start small.
I will make befor and after pics with my new camera so I will show them later on. Again thank you for your help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts