Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife and I purchased our new home yesterday and the first step is to remodel our kitchen. I figured id post some pictures of the process for all your criticisms.

Hopefully I can complete it in two weeks but that may be tough with my work schedule.

Oh yeah, rule number one - never trust your old man to shut off the water!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
What are you hoping to do?

Cosmetic? Major gut?

It is usually easiest to remove all the drywall so you can update the electrical and add lighting---

Also---watch out for the sink drain height---old standard was 18" above the floor---

With super deep under mount sinks and a garbage disposer---that 18" drain will be to high-----

New kitchens need more dedicated circuits than your old one ---an electrician will help you figure out the code requirements----Mike-----

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I got as far as your second picture....after that point it will stall for months as you argue with your wife about everything from the layout, colours and what type of faucet. :laughing:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Where did ya get your cabinets from?

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Inner10 said:
I got as far as your second picture....after that point it will stall for months as you argue with your wife about everything from the layout, colours and what type of faucet. :laughing:
Wife already changed cabinet color, now she wants to change floor which means change counter tops which means change paint which means I should just sit home and watch football.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Be careful that your fridge door operates properly with no filler to it's left. And that your opening from counter top to casing is large enough for the fridge.

Try to have fun. After all the two of you are getting something you want.

·
General Contractor
8,086 Posts
Looking at the 2 pictures bellow and the new layout, I think that stove will not work in that location, it looks like there is not enough room.

I would definitely considered moving that stove on the the back wall if there is enough room.

Good luck with your new house Bam :thumbsup:

·
Registered
15,346 Posts
I have no problem with Merillate deluxe. I like them. If I could stick my 2 cents in I would suggest side panels for the fridge and pull the cabinet above out to the front. It's way more useful and adds dimension to the crown.
Good luck Bam & congrats.

·
General Contractor
8,086 Posts
Tom, I dont think there is room for side panels. Like Gus said I doubt he will open ref door the way it looks with that casing. If get that stove out it would make a nice layout.

24" deep cabinet above is a must in any case, it will be a totally different look. Last few kitchens I did I order 30" deep panels, it hides most of the ref... To bad not all manufactures make them 30" deep

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Hope he firestopped it. I swear every bad kitchen fire starts in a soffit.

Just sayin................:whistling

1 - 20 of 58 Posts