Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here' a kitchen I redid in Chatsworth, CA. It was a vacation lodge originally built in the late 20's. It was actually added on two 3 different times by homeowners and was the worst mess I had ever seen. When we pulled up the old floor, the joists actually bounced up and down on the footings. Fun time. And we had a boulder sticking 2 feet into the area. Double fun!

Before:

Property Room Wall Real estate Floor

Property Room Building Furniture Floor

Property Room Building Floor Real estate

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Looks like you got stuck with some pretty low ceilings. That stinks. An 8' ceiling allover would have really been nice.

I recognize that type of floor! I just finished one similarly.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep angus242, the ceilings were low. 7 ft at some points but the homeowner wasn't much bigger than a hobbit so it was fine for her! We were working with a few different additions all on different floors done over 80 years. I wasn't going to try and push for too much more because the estimate doubled once we started.:eek: Always makes for a fun conversation with the HO.

BTW, like the look of those long tiles like that. I didn't want to put them down because they look so ugly when you are looking at 1 piece but they actually looked ok down.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know, the client wanted white on white on white on white! :w00t: It took me a little bit to squeeze that green in! But hey, whatever the client wants, the clients get.

·
How can I help you?
158 Posts
Nice work.... strange looking stove though.... Is it a new one or one thats been reconditioned?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@SAH, the stove is an original. It was in great shape and didn't need to be reconditioned at all and everything works perfect, even the clock!

·
4,617 Posts
Nice job, but I have to say that the stove sure makes that kitchen look like it stepped right out of the 1920s into the 1960s.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, doesn't really match but it was her's and she wanted to use it. If the HO likes it, I'm happy with it. Did try to talk her out of the subway tiles on the counter along with white grout, but I can only nudge em so much! :)

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Nice job:thumbsup:

Ditto the aged stove:eek:

I've had to do a kitchen around a stove before.. One similar to that.. double ovens.
Client said it could bake better than any new one. She proved it too:whistling

·
Registered
412 Posts
I love the old appliances. I've been collecting them so I can remodel my 1920's kitchen someday. It is so big I can put both the old and new in, I thought I'd have a sliding door so I can hide the new when not in use, and have just the old showing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts