Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some ideas for cabinetry above the refrigerator. Ceiling height is 10'. Design right now for the rest of the kitchen is a small row above the main uppers (all one unit of course...custom and all) with clear or obscured glass. This looks absolutely fine. Above the refer looks like dog crap. Two small doors stacked? Looks absolutely awful.

I was thinking of maybe an open area like this photo, but to me, that is wasted space.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like we are doing a full, to the ceiling treatment like the second picture. I was figuring in something similar, a wide faced piece at the top.

I've done cabinets that the top came out to 102" on a 9' ceiling and it is almost useless space. It's for decoration. Even at 8', unless you are 6'12...that top shelf is difficult.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,655 Posts
The second one definitely has an eye catching style, although I don't see a refr there. What's you feeling for the customer's taste?

·
Registered
Remodel
31,655 Posts
I think that's going to be a dark hole in a white wall. If you're running molding above and below the doors with glass in them, I think it will look better in real life than in the rendering - the lower doors become visually less important.

I know what you mean about the proportions - is the refr getting skinned as well?

·
Registered
417 Posts
IMHO, it is sometimes a mistake to think one needs to have cabs go up to the ceiling in tall rooms.

Look at how we deal with it most of the time. Cabinets as space-fillers, as pure decor. We put glass doors on them and then put lights inside, as if they are jack-o-lanterns.

It may not go well with the Yankee ideal of design, but consider simply stopping at somewhere between 7/10 and 9/2 and simply capping with crown.

A couple ideas I like for over the fridge. One, make a really shallow open-front box and consider it the kitchen-TV perch. Nice flatscreen up there on which to have Bloomberg or Barefoot Contessa's cooking show. Second, do a doored box just the right height for the sideways dim of the biggest cookie sheets and pans, do dividers, and use the space for the tray storage. You only have to be able to grab the bottom edge corner to get one in or out, and that is about all the reach you'll get over that fridge.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,799 Posts
Make sure to build them a couple of ladders for those uppers. 2nd pic was nice. Although most of that cabinet space is worthless.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,591 Posts
What about making the doors above the fridge single doors with a bottom and top profile with the top profile matching the glass line. Might look a little better with less hardware clutter and not trying to force 2 sets of uppers where on set is more functional and appropriate and maintaining the look.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,799 Posts
How about the Aventos HK hardware from Blum, single door that lifts up.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,799 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,799 Posts
I've used them once and I bid it out at $250 for the stuff and it came out to $213 plus the time to figure out how to install them. Next time I'll figure on $350 each opening.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Ten-foot-tall rooms with kitchens in them need some design elements such as deep beams, large crowns and friezes, and other such things, to bring the space down. Running cabinets up high, way above reach heights, is not the way to go.

In the photo attached here, a soffit drop with beam over, beams in the ceiling, and a beam in a wall above cabinetry all work to bring down the height, so the cabinetry is more to human scale.

I know this is a rustic kitchen, definitely not a style that will satisfy the Maine ship-owner house style, but I'll bet that the ideas here could be adapted so that Northeast aesthetic concerns are met.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts