Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inspector refused our final today. He said, we did not meet NEC regarding the spacing and number of recepticles at the kitchen counter.

I am sure this will be a quick answer, but how often are you required to have recepticles at a kitchen counter and what section of NEC is this mentioned? The inspector said we are required to have a recepticle ever 24".

Also does anyone know what year of NEC Texas requires?

Thanks.

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
Do you have your own copy of the NEC? If yes, then look at article 210.52. There's a whole lot there but it really isn't that difficult.

In a nutshell, a receptacle is required on a kitchen countertop wherever the counterspace is larger than 12", and no more than 48" apart from one receptacle to the other. All of them have to be GFCI protected. This includes all countertops in the kitchen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

I don't have a copy of NEC. The kitchen has GFCI recpticle within 42" of each other; however, the inspector says I am required to have a recepticle every 24".

That sounds to often?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,575 Posts
.........however, the inspector says I am required to have a recepticle every 24".

That sounds to often?
The inspector fails.

210.52(C)(1) Wall Countertop Spaces. A receptacle outlet shall be installed at each wall countertop space that is 300 mm (12 in.) or wider. Receptacle outlets shall be installed so that no point along the wall line is more than 600 mm (24 in.) measured horizontally from a receptacle outlet in that space.
48" max between receps.

I don't have a copy of NEC.
You need to get one.

Reactions: DallDev

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Thanks.

I don't have a copy of NEC. The kitchen has GFCI recpticle within 42" of each other; however, the inspector says I am required to have a recepticle every 24".

That sounds to often?
He is mistaken.

NEC 210.52 At kitchen countertops, receptacle outlets shall be installed so that no point along the wall line is more than 24 inches measured horizontally from a receptacle.

edit...you beat me to it 480.

Reactions: DallDev

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually in addition the inspector is requiring me to have recepticles for the islands the main island has a veg sink and is 7 foot long. He has stated that he wants me to put a wire mold type strip at least 4 foot long underneath the counter top.
The main island sink and counter top has a left hand wing of 64 inches long with a dishwasher to the left of the sink. The electrician installed a plug on the end of the counter and now the inspector wants another plug on either side of the dish washer and on the right side of the sink he wants a second plug in addition to the end counter plug two foot from the end right next to the sink area. This side of the counter is 48 inches long.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Actually in addition the inspector is requiring me to have recepticles for the islands the main island has a veg sink and is 7 foot long. He has stated that he wants me to put a wire mold type strip at least 4 foot long underneath the counter top.
The main island sink and counter top has a left hand wing of 64 inches long with a dishwasher to the left of the sink. The electrician installed a plug on the end of the counter and now the inspector wants another plug on either side of the dish washer and on the right side of the sink he wants a second plug in addition to the end counter plug two foot from the end right next to the sink area. This side of the counter is 48 inches long.
An outlet is always required in an island.
This stuff should have been caught on rough inspection.Your sparky should have known this but it is you,the GC,that needs to know this stuff...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will be getting a code book tomorrow but wanted some help to narrow down the reading. We have plugs in the end of the island on both sides. What the inspector is requesting is a plug every 24 inches in the island not a measured 24 inches from the plugs.

Rough in inspections never have cabinets installed, that would be premature. The island had underground electricial but the owners changed a few items with the cabinet man. Both islands have GFI plugs installed at the ends of the islands.

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
Buying the code book is a step in the right direction but you may also want to consider buying an illustrated guide to the code because if you've never read the NEC before you have a headache in your future. The good news is you have sites like this (and some others) where we are more than happy to answer any questions.

·
#1 stunner
576 Posts
Will be getting a code book tomorrow but wanted some help to narrow down the reading. We have plugs in the end of the island on both sides. What the inspector is requesting is a plug every 24 inches in the island not a measured 24 inches from the plugs.

Rough in inspections never have cabinets installed, that would be premature. The island had underground electricial but the owners changed a few items with the cabinet man. Both islands have GFI plugs installed at the ends of the islands.
Island 210.52 c2

At least one receptacle shall be installed at each island counter space with a long dimension of 24" or greater and a short dimension of 12" or greater. Where a rangetop or sink is installed in an island counter and the width of the counter behind the range top or sink is less that 12", the rangetop or sink is considered to divide the island into two separate counter top spaces as defined in 210.52c4

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts

While this is true you should always know the layout of the cabinets/countertops when doing the rough electrical.That's just
the way you have to do it.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,575 Posts
DallDev.... get two Codebooks, one for you and one for your inspector.

Your inspector is a

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
He has stated that he wants me to put a wire mold type strip at least 4 foot long underneath the counter top.
We have plugs in the end of the island on both sides. What the inspector is requesting is a plug every 24 inches in the island not a measured 24 inches from the plugs.
DallDev , this guy is a complete fool. If he cannot grasp this simple part of the code what else is he messing up???

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,575 Posts
I'm willing to bet this inspector isn't just an electrical inspector, but more likely a multi-trade inspector....... footings, framing, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, etc. Jack of all trades and master of none.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Buying the code book is a step in the right direction but you may also want to consider buying an illustrated guide to the code because if you've never read the NEC before you have a headache in your future. The good news is you have sites like this (and some others) where we are more than happy to answer any questions.
I've looked at a few different code books for sale online and it seems there are a variety of them, as well as the "guides to the code" that you mention. Can you mention one or more titles/publishers that you recommend?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts