Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with some old ceiling hung kitchen cabinets. They were made badly back 40 years ago, and want to tear then down. Just wondering if anyone knows some ideas, or knows a site with some pics to give me some ideas about what I wanna put back up.

I need to have the over head oven vent, but the lay out is bad. The cabinets were connected to the wall, but I don't want it that way any more. I will take some pics when my batteries charge, and it will help. :Thumbs:

Thanks for reading my babble! :cheesygri

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Hey, I'm not sure what you are asking for. You just want some information on how to hang cabinets, or where to buy cabinets? What do you mean you don't want the cabinets connected to the wall? How else is there to hang them? Does the venting for the range hood go up into the ceiling or did it run through the cabinets?

·
Registered
12 Posts
If your looking to purchase cabinets try typing discount wood cabinetry in yahoo, I have a few links I'll post when I get on my other puter. As for not wanting them to be attached to the wall, I have done installs over an island and it can be difficult attaching them to the ceiling and having the correct support in the right spots. Give me a little more info and mabey I can help.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I assume you mean that you don't want the cabinets to go to the ceiling anymore. They have to hang from the wall. If the vent has to get into the ceiling again, I have used two solutions often. One is to stack two cabinets in this one area, so that only this cabinet goes to the ceiling. Look through some magazines and you will see frequent situations where the tops of cabs are staggered for visual impact.The other is to immediately transition from the usual round hood duct to rectangular, which I then keep against the wall until it gets into the ceiling. A mininum sized sheetrock or thin birch plywood enclosure over the metal gets textured and painted to match the wall, and is quite inconspicious

1 - 5 of 5 Posts