Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on the fence about trying to install new kitchen cabinets or pay $1,000 to hire someone. I have already removed the old cabinets and everything is ready for the new cabinets to be hung once they arrive. I have never done this but have an average amount of DIY carpentry skills. What makes me hesitate is that I have spent a decent amount of money ($4k) on cabinets and would hate to mess it up on the installation.

I have a total of 8 wall and 6 base cabinets, crown moulding, and toe kick. Any opinion if $1,000 is reasonable (from a licensed carpenter that has performed work for me in the past) or should I tackle this job myself?

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I have been on the fence about trying to install new kitchen cabinets or pay $1,000 to hire someone. I have already removed the old cabinets and everything is ready for the new cabinets to be hung once they arrive. I have never done this but have an average amount of DIY carpentry skills. What makes me hesitate is that I have spent a decent amount of money ($4k) on cabinets and would hate to mess it up on the installation.

I have a total of 8 wall and 6 base cabinets, crown moulding, and toe kick. Any opinion if $1,000 is reasonable (from a licensed carpenter that has performed work for me in the past) or should I tackle this job myself?
You build decks and additions yet cant figure out if you can hang a couple of cheap cabinets :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
53,064 Posts
Home Depot charges $100/ft. It you don't feel comfortable doing it then don't.

$4K is pretty small amount for cabinets. Sounds like an average of $250 a box.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Home Depot charges $100/ft. It you don't feel comfortable doing it then don't.

$4K is pretty small amount for cabinets. Sounds like an average of $250 a box.
Leo, is that per cabinet foot or linear floor foot? Because base and wall could take up the same floor space but equate to more cabinet footage.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Leo, is that per cabinet foot or linear floor foot? Because base and wall could take up the same floor space but equate to more cabinet footage.
Per cabinet would be as said, per cabinet? Most pay per foot on the wall measurement, from what I have done, OR per unit/per trim piece/per filler/etc..

And I do have a question here? How do wall cabinets, and base take up the same floor space / equate to more footage? I am sorry, you lost me there!

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Per cabinet would be as said, per cabinet? Most pay per foot on the wall measurement, from what I have done, OR per unit/per trim piece/per filler/etc..

And I do have a question here? How do wall cabinets, and base take up the same floor space / equate to more footage? I am sorry, you lost me there!
The wall cabinets go above the base so they would occupy the same floor real estate. So if you were putting base and wall cabinets along a 10' wall at $100 per foot that would be $1,000 for installation.

However, if HD charges per cabinet foot that price would double as you have 10' of base cabinets and 10' of wall cabinets.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Can you give us a picture..........:blink:

Is the backsplash area finished or are you taring it out and installing new....:blink:

We can help you out....save yourself some $......just work with us.....

2 posts........

I missed that.......

Whoops!.......

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
$1000.00 is ........:rolleyes: charity .......IMO

But...

That all depends......what are you doing....just hanging and setting....or tare out as well.....lots of variables......

Client is......A,B,C,...:blink:.....as the cabinet grade goes down.....what you can try and pull in profit goes down......

JMPOV...

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
On some jobs I charge per box, and some per ln ft.
It all depends on the customer's attitude and demeanor... :laughing:
But I ain't doing chit for $1000...

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have subbed to contractors that could not set kitchen cabinets.

An old friend, after retiring from the police force, bought a printing business. I asked him if he knew anything about printing and he replied " 25 years on the force taught me that you don't need to know anything to be the boss" Just hire the right people.

14 cabinets, toe kick and crown, is only a half days work for someone that knows what he is doing. ( assuming it is not a 4 story walk up )

Around here HD charges $99 per cabinet.
Bill T

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
I have subbed to contractors that could not set kitchen cabinets.

An old friend, after retiring from the police force, bought a printing business. I asked him if he knew anything about printing and he replied " 25 years on the force taught me that you don't need to know anything to be the boss" Just hire the right people.

14 cabinets, toe kick and crown, is only a half days work for someone that knows what he is doing. ( assuming it is not a 4 story walk up )

Around here HD charges $99 per cabinet.
Bill T

14 cabinets/ toe kick & crown- half days work- Your talking sideways - out your ass......:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts