Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When installing cabinet do you normally charge by the hour of the cabinet. I normally charged by the cabinet but recently a builder keeps asking me to give him an hourly price. How am I suppose to charge an hourly fee when things can always go wrong with cabinet installs.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
When installing cabinet do you normally charge by the hour of the cabinet. I normally charged by the cabinet but recently a builder keeps asking me to give him an hourly price. How am I suppose to charge an hourly fee when things can always go wrong with cabinet installs.
(Cabinet price x number of cabs) / average install time

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,702 Posts
I would figure that would work in your advantage. If you have a difficult install then you get paid for it if you are by the hour. I'm sure he's trying to get a lower price out of you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He wants an hourly price up front is what I meant. Don't know how he thinks I will know exactly how long each job will take. To me it's seems like the exact same thing as pricing by the cabinet but he's just trying to get over and get a lower price

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
He wants an hourly price up front is what I meant. Don't know how he thinks I will know exactly how long each job will take. To me it's seems like the exact same thing as pricing by the cabinet but he's just trying to get over and get a lower price
Give him the same price.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Tell him you don't work by the hour---either you price is acceptable or it's not---He is not your employer---so hourly rate is not needed--just the bottom line--

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I have installed for cabinet suppiers, $5 for this $8 for that $1 per handle.

Won't do it again. :no:
Won't work for builders either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well after going back and forth with the builder he decided to have his GUYS do it. I've heard that one to many times so basically he was trying to see what to charge and then pay his $10/hr guys to do it while he pockets more money

1 - 10 of 10 Posts