Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Been around
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at replacing some kitchen cabinets in a rental. There are decent used kitchens available from remodels, but they often are golden oak and a darker finish would be preferred. So these types cabinets are the subject.

Not looking to strip the cabinets and I understand the need for good prep. If the original factory finish was a conversion varnish (that would be likely?), what would be a suitable tinted overcoat? I am looking for a reasonably durable spray applied film finish that would have a good adhesion to the old factory applied finish. A sprayed lacquer would provide the kind of color hiding I would look for, but I doubt its other attributes are suitable for kitchen cabinets.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,486 Posts
I've used pre-cat lacquer on every kitchen and bath cabinet I've made.
I know there are new and improved coatings but I've never had a problem with lacquer.
You may want to apply a sealer first.
I'm sure the pros will chime in.

·
Been around
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not opposed to any finish that works. If a pre-cat lacquer has the proper adhesive characteristics to go over the old that would be fine. I am concerned about the new finish being incompatible with the existing and peeling down the road.

Just looking to avoid incompatibility.

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
Stix;

Cabinet Coat;

Clean all surfaces well with Kurd Cutter, the regular red label not the kitchen cleaner.

Tom

·
Registered
Custom
13,693 Posts
For rentals, you're likely better off with a product that is economical, durable, easily maintained (wipe clean) and replaced... RTF (Rigid Thermofoil) can be done in most any color, come in many contemporary designs, look painted for solid colors, and if anything gets damaged is easily replaced... just be sure to make sure you take location to heat into consideration...

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,736 Posts
If it's CV coat it again with the same. TSP, DNA, scuff with 320 and spray a coat or 2 with some dye in it to darken.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts