Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before pulling up the old kitchen floor to seewhat was in store, I rolled out the washing machine to investigate what was underneath. Two layers of vinyl tile (laid from a corner out, not from the centre). Under that was a layer of tarry substance, about 1/4" in depth. I wonder what this is but intend to use masks and air filtres when removing it, and send the family to the country for the weekend!

Underneath is a pretty standard (mildewy) softwood floor, probably pine, like the rest of the apartment. It doesn't look flat enough to tile or linoleum directly, but I would want to do something to kill the existing mildew and prevent it from forming again.

Any recommendations on prepping this floor, considering that getting wet is not a matter of 'if' but 'when' ??? I'm not concerned about floor height, since we're already used to it raised.

Thanks much in advance !!!
Rob in Brooklyn, NYC

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Any chance of posting pictures?

(laid from a corner out, not from the centre).

I am not sure what that means.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If all you want is to kill the mold on the wood, try 50% bleach and 50% water. But that will not prevent the mold from returning. You need to stop the floor from getting wet first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Florcraft and HCI. Will try to get a pic or two.

> ...50% bleach and 50% water. But that will not prevent the mold
> from returning. You need to stop the floor from getting wet first.

Right. I'm evaluating a few underlayment products that can form an effective moisture barrier. I used to have a salt water fish tank, so I learned that it's not a matter of IF any floor will get wet, but WHEN.

> (laid from a corner out, not from the centre).
> I am not sure what that means.

Sorry, this means that the previous artiste placed one uncut tile in a corner, then kept laying. This creates interesting effects when the walls are not exactly perpendicular...

Sometimes I think that it's against the law in New York apartments, to mark the centre of the room, lay out from there, and cut tile on the edges.

I'll be back...

·
Registered
41 Posts
After get the flooring up put a fan on the area to dry it thoroughly..
Find a carpet cleaning floor supply house and get something for mildew. Tell them you've got mold and they will know what you are looking for.
Then you can spray the area down to stop the growth. A dry area then a treated area then a new floor and you'll be ok

·
Home Improvement Guy
1,480 Posts
Hey Rob, I'm just curious. How come you've been a member here for 3 years and just now are posting a question. How could you resist all that time:laughing:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts