Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went to a job the other day for an estamite for a bath replacement, nothing real hard just your basic replacement.

Customer asks for a ball park figure for the job, I throw one at her and she drops like I am killing her with the price.

As we are leaving she stops by her garage to show us her new Jag, just paid $40,000.00 for only drives it on weekends.

Now this is the same person who you might think was broke just 2 minutes before, Kills Me.

BJD

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
It's the people with money, ya gota wrench it out of.

I guess thats why they have the money:cheesygri

Bob

Some extra input (imagine that). As a buyer, somtimes I find myself haggleing over a price thats fair, don't know why, just hit a mood I guess, but often after the transaction and I realize I forced the other fella into a loss, for whatever reason on his part, I feel bad about it.

Thats the diff between Miss Jag and a good person, I'll bet shes never felt that feeling.

Bob again

·
Registered
83 Posts
My partner works as a gardener for a small, but very well recognized, flower shop in my area. When she goes out on contract jobs she finds that the clients, whom have plenty of money, feel that they should get every possible ounce of her energy for every little aspect of the project because: They are using a local provider and not a Wal-Mart. I think a lot of people have this mentality that because they are supporting a local shop and not wal-mart they are good people and therefore should be given the world.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:
... but often after the transaction and I realize I forced the other fella into a loss [and] I feel bad about it.
'Often' huh? The guilt must keep you up at night. :cheesygri

I don't think you can force a person into making a bad business decision. 99% of the ones I make are done in the face of ample warning signs. The other 1% are made either out of ignorance or out of haste.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
The majority of the few wealthy customers I have had have been a pleasure to work for, knock on wood. They have all been more demanding in regard to wanting to be sure they were getting what they wanted and all demanded a high quality finished product, but that was fine with me because that is my specialty anyways. Price has never been an issue with them like it is with less wealthy clients, in fact I have always added in on the high side on those quotes. I like the wealthy clients because I can spend my time talking about the design, the quality of materials and how awesome it will all look when it is done, rather than how they can go to Home Depot and pick out a faucet for $39.00 which is sometimes the conversation with less wealthy clients where budget is a major consideration in the project.

I think there are cheap rich and middle class customers, but since cheap customers no matter what income level are not who I want to work for I usually pass on their project pretty quickly as soon as I sniff out and begin to believe it is all about doing it on the cheap.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Bjd said:
We went to a job the other day for an estamite for a bath replacement, nothing real hard just your basic replacement.

Customer asks for a ball park figure for the job, I throw one at her and she drops like I am killing her with the price.

As we are leaving she stops by her garage to show us her new Jag, just paid $40,000.00 for only drives it on weekends.

Now this is the same person who you might think was broke just 2 minutes before, Kills Me.

BJD
I run into this on a regular basis,and you can bet the jaguar dealer made little or no profit on their sale.I qualify my customers strictly on whether they will let me make a profit and cover my overhead.I try not judge on the basis of how wealthy they are as wealth alone does not make a good client.Having been involved in at least one large project with customer who whined and complained about every extra charge its not something i wish to repeat.Sucessful people fall into two catagorys those who are sucessful because of a skill or trait that has allowed them to rise to the top of thier given profession, and those who are sucessful because they are good at scheming and taking credit for the work of others.Having known both types its easy to figure out who makes the better customer. There is a third catagory,those who inhierited their wealth,very had to figure these people out,can be pennypinchers or freespenders of anywhere in between, but generaly i find having not worked for what they have ,they place little value on the value of our work.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
bergenbldr said:
There is a third catagory,those who inhierited their wealth,very had to figure these people out,can be pennypinchers or freespenders of anywhere in between, but generaly i find having not worked for what they have ,they place little value on the value of our work.
Most of these folks also don't understand the value of a dollar either, they never had to work for one. Most are like children, they want what they want and they want it now. Money is usually secondary.

·
Registered
86 Posts
people love to live above their means no matter how much money they make every year. Some of the most beautiful homes Ive been in had the poorest people living in them.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have nothing against wealthy folks - in fact, I wanna be one when I grow up. :cheesygri

Here's my experience with wealthy folks in general. If you're dealing with the first generation wealthy who actually made the money, they are the most tight-fisted negotiators of anyone (but you want to do their job anyway because you'll learn A LOT from them). But, if your dealing with the following generations who are living off of family money, they'll buy more useless crap than you'll ever be able to keep up with. Let me emphasize GENERALLY this is the case. There have been exceptions.

Tim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts