Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve dealt with some grumpy cheapskates before but texting me at 5am to say they didn’t like my work, wouldn’t pay any more and my tools are on the front step was a new one for me.

I understand somewhat why they’re angry (and I should never have agreed to the last change of plan) but I explained to them in great detail via email and with in person demonstrations the downsides of trying to save the doors that were installed incorrectly by the last contractor and I thought they got it. Really I think I did pretty well getting the doors functioning but there’s only so much I can do when the mortise depths are all over the map, the Lowe’s particle jambs are dissolving as I work with them and the customer expects the gaps around the door to have less than 1/32 variation throughout.

Fortunately I was a little wary of this customer from the beginning, only agreed to four doors to start (and not re trimming and painting the entire house), got a proper contract signed and initialed and a full 50 percent up front so I’m eating less than $400 which is a pretty gentle lesson as far as the contractor school of hard knocks goes but still..

·
Registered
11,835 Posts
So your tools were put out at 5:00am or even the night before? That does deserve a response or an invoice.

Then again, what if they calm down and were to ask you to finish up for it? Right about now the spouse is realizing that it could have been done by turkey day.

·
The Dude
Untangler of blue spaghetti
3,343 Posts
So your tools were put out at 5:00am or even the night before? That does deserve a response or an invoice.

Then again, what if they calm down and were to ask you to finish up for it? Right about now the spouse is realizing that it could have been done by turkey day.
I'd never work for them again. Fire me - sure. Tell me to come get my gear. MOVE my gear outside, to the front porch, in the elements and exposed to thieves? For what - so you don't have to man up and look me in the eye? Nope. Their job can go unfinished. Or they can hire the local rent-a-drunk to "finish" the job. G'luck with those 32nd of an inch variances!

·
90%-er
1,448 Posts
I'm 19 years into this industry and I more or less just learned the lesson that I don't touch other guys' work. Heard it on this forum a few years ago, but it didn't really sink in until just about last year: Say it with me now fellas,

"The last man that touches it, owns it"

Sounds like you went in cautious and didn't take much of a hit because of it. Good instincts. If all my tools were accounted for, I'd eat the four hundred and move the phuck on down the road to the next job. You aren't likely to get another dime just by asking, and the system for collecting it legally is weighted towards them at this point, because it would cost you more than you're owed (in time and money) to collect that money.

I used to think I could come in and be a savior; fix anything that some other Jack-off messed up. But it almost never works out and both sides end up disappointed. The only thing I'm good at is ripping the hack job out and doing it rightly from scratch.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They put the tools out after 8 AM, or so they said, not quite as bad as overnight but still pissed me off and they didn’t get the case for my nice woodpeckers square.

It is funny thinking about their family coming over for turkey and their not being any handle or casing on the bathroom doors.

The other thing they don’t seem to be taking seriously is the fact that, because they were providing materials, I added a clause to the contract that I would be billing $xx.00 per hour for my time picking up or waiting for materials. Putting my tools on the front porch and telling me not to come back was the clincher but they had told me previously they didn’t have a plan or materials for the front porch trim yet and I included that fact in my written notice of breach of contract. If I really want to go war over this there’s a strong argument that the clock is still running and I could potentially let their $400 unpaid bill turn into 4K plus and put a lien on the place. Probably not worth it but their footing is a lot worse than they seem to realize right now.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
33 years 2 jobs I didn't finish both customers were mental cases, neither owed me money, One I was tipped off while on the job that she doesn't pay, I was told afterwards from people that knew them that I'd be better off starving than working for them.

I'm not a repairman, tear it out and start over.

·
Registered
GC
1,260 Posts
Only ever had one that was crazy. Bid all paint grade work, finished the job, the woman loved it. She couldn't be happier.
She called me that night foaming at the mouth insane because she wanted "furniture quality" stain grade work.

I spoke to her husband about it and he was whipped, said he couldn't cross his wife.

·
Super Moderator
30,022 Posts
Only ever had one that was crazy. Bid all paint grade work, finished the job, the woman loved it. She couldn't be happier.
She called me that night foaming at the mouth insane because she wanted "furniture quality" stain grade work.

I spoke to her husband about it and he was whipped, said he couldn't cross his wife.

A lot of these gals drink and start getting mouthy late 😆

Had one that was so bad I told her if she ever texted me after 5 pm again I was going to block her for the remainder of the project (days) and she was sweet as pie the next day. Crazy lady texted me my cabinets sucked because they weren't Alder her brother said and she wanted them all replaced. I almost replied those are walnut cabinets you loopy hooker your brother lives in a trac house 😆

She wanted us to build a guest house later. Nah 😆

·
Registered
Unbuilder of Eyesores
1,797 Posts
Leaving tools on any job is a major mistake. Going behind a hack to jack w/box store doors is a close 2nd. What if Johnny h/o decides to use your saw & cuts a few digits off. Or cranking on your drill & drives it through his palm

Mike
I used to take every tool off the job at the end of the day. I was burning so much time doing that, gave it up completely.

·
Registered
13,215 Posts
We leave some stuff. Levels, hand tools, hoses and cords if we even have any on the job. If it's occupied, I'll leave more.

I balance whether it puts me out of business for a half day if it's gone with burning an hour to reset up and another hour to get production going.

Also, how tired I am at the end of the day makes a difference as well.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Custom
13,964 Posts
I'm 19 years into this industry and I more or less just learned the lesson that I don't touch other guys' work. Heard it on this forum a few years ago, but it didn't really sink in until just about last year: Say it with me now fellas,

"The last man that touches it, owns it"

Sounds like you went in cautious and didn't take much of a hit because of it. Good instincts. If all my tools were accounted for, I'd eat the four hundred and move the phuck on down the road to the next job. You aren't likely to get another dime just by asking, and the system for collecting it legally is weighted towards them at this point, because it would cost you more than you're owed (in time and money) to collect that money.

I used to think I could come in and be a savior; fix anything that some other Jack-off messed up. But it almost never works out and both sides end up disappointed. The only thing I'm good at is ripping the hack job out and doing it rightly from scratch.
And pretty much any job you take on someone was there before you... it's all in how it's presented to the client... I don't care what was done and by whom, I want to know what you want to be done, and I'll layout for you what needs to be done, and treat it as a new job completely... if that means ripping out someone elses work to ensure code, etc., so be it... there's no grey area here...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts