Experience with receiving kickbacks?

·
Radical Basement Dweller
26,098 Posts

·
Design Build
6,789 Posts
Is that you, Pauly?

Are you starting a side gig middle man business?

”Yoos guys want dis’ bilt yoos gotta pay“

ref Back to School

·
Artist and not a curator
12,962 Posts
Just curious about how common are kick backs in the construction industry in your areas
How is your first post about kickbacks?

I get them all the time. Someone wants a door, I build it. Boom, I kickback and enjoy the money they pay...

Wall art? No problem, gonna need to kickback to the bank and get me a check.

Deck? Hah! You're gonna kickback to being a little cheap cause it's hot outside.

Framing? Kickback to the bank and check your account cause I can't afford the lumber and you can't afford the labor.

Done for the day? Kickback and have a nice libation with dinner.

Kickbacks in this industry are insanely common. In fact, I'm kicking back right now against another dumb idea the archy has then am going to kickback with a beer and enjoy the evening.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,620 Posts
I don't remember anyone around here getting convicted of paying or receiving kickbacks..

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Certain big name window companies used to give free trips if you used their windows, usually the architects got the trips because they spec'd the brand of window. I know someone who got many trips and also gold clubs. The sales people used to drive around and stop at the job sites and "explain the perks" of using their stuff.

Electrical wire manufacturers did it also.

I know in NYC at the time you were assigned a concrete company depending on the street location, that was more of a staying alive deal than a kickback

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Forgot, in the public works sector kickbacks were very common back some years also. I can not confirm or deny that I delivered envelopes to certain people to get certain contracts. The first time it may or may not have happened I was quite shocked when said envelope was opened in front of me.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Since this is mainly used by US based construction pros I would hazard to say that major mafia style kickbacks are rare in the residential sector. Has it happened, probably. If someone offered me a beer or lunch I’ve got no problem, if their offer anything illegal I’d ask them to hold on till I get my phone out so I could record them. I’m close to the Mexico border and all sorts of sh## happens over there and many other parts of the world.
Just read a article about a Guatemalan dump where the cartels control of who can scavage in the best spots. At a f ing dump!
Had a friend that was in the waste disposal business in NY state. He was made a offer that he couldn’t refuse so took a job
working as a machinist in Dallas. This was in the 80’s.
I’m glad I never had to put up with anything like that.
Hope that our country never becomes one of the hell holes that allow this to happen. (Rant done)
It’s probably more common than I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,949 Posts
First, define "kickback". Are we talking about something illegal/unethical, or just a reward for sending business someone's way? Big difference.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,309 Posts
Kickbacks are not legal in California.

So you may want to check your state.

Call it what you will, but if you are a contractor beware any offer to 'kickback', pay for referrals, provide finder fees or 'inducements' for a contract because they are all illegal in California.

Also if bidding government projects There's actually a law called 'The Anti-kickback Law'. Also known as a bribe.

Mike.
___

·
Stelzer Painting Inc.
162 Posts
Kickbacks don't seem very common around here in Oregon. They've been replaced by referring work to someone you'd like to see stay busy so they could feed their family, and you know they'll do a good job, and you can also be sure that if they hear of someone needing one of my services, he's gonna send em my way.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Kickbacks are not legal in California.

So you may want to check your state.

Call it what you will, but if you are a contractor beware any offer to 'kickback', pay for referrals, provide finder fees or 'inducements' for a contract because they are all illegal in California.

Also if bidding government projects There's actually a law called 'The Anti-kickback Law'. Also known as a bribe.

Mike.
___
In public sector work there are lots of laws that seem to not matter
Back in the day everyone had their hand out, I'm not sure if much has changed here.
Palms are still greased, I know one electrical inspector who quit over it. Money ( and a beach house renovation ) was exchanged to elected officials who instructed the building dept to only do cursory inspections, in other words don't look too hard. Ever see a light switch in a windowless bathroom 4" from the tub ? Many inspections were never done. The building was actually built 10 feet too tall the town ignored it even though the towns firetruck ladder does not reach the top floor.
In the cases I referred to earlier the corrupt people told my boss what they wanted in order for him to get the contract. One was a police commissioner of a fairly large city.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Illegal in California, LOL

Most contractors that I know are Drug Dealers!!! The others are not legal contractors, do not have a license. I feel like an idiot holding a license and being a real contractor... it is not the norm here in this **** state of Calif. Good luck to others who follow the rules like me.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Buddy of mine sold a bunch of the masonry supplies on a pro sports stadium. Said they had to run all of the materials through some guy who took a 10% mark-up, then on to them to his masonry contractor customer to do the work with. Going through this dude (who did nothing, or added no value) got them minority participation which the city expected XX percentage of.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts