Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
10,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good customer picked up an old oak desk at a yard sale that they intend to use for their home office. It has a center drawer that they were hoping could be modified to have a "flip-down" face. That shouldn't be a problem but I just went to order the slides/hinges I wanted only to find they were discontinued. Total bummer.

I'm also not sure if the drawer itself is up to the task of being leaned on all day as a keyboard shelf.
Has anybody here successfully done the modernization of an old drawer into a new keyboard shelf?

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
How thick is the bottom? Was thinking piano hinge, but the bottom is probably too thin to get much bite into. I think that's probably the weak point in the drawer in terms of getting leaned on, as well.
If the bottom has an extra quarter inch between the bottom of it and the bottom of the drawer box (typical), then I'd add some ply to beef it up. If they just nailed the bottom onto the drawer frame then that's not feasible, and I'm out of ideas.

·
Punching above his weight
10,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the thickness of the bottom is my main concern. Once I liberate the front panel from the rest of the drawer that 3/16 ply is going to be floppy as all get out. I was thinking of insetting a piece of 3/4 over the bottom panel since the drawer will now only have to accommodate a keyboard.

The best part of this is how much time and energy I'm going to spend on this item that they specifically told me not to spend more than like $50 on. I'm just so desperate for something entertaining(painting is not entertaining) that I'm willing to spend my entire day thinking about this silly drawer. hah

1 - 3 of 3 Posts