Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Brickwork
1,126 Posts
Stone buildings do last for centuries until someone repoints them with a strong cement mortar. I might have to do this one which has been done with a raised ribbon style in OPC mortar.
The stone is starting to fall apart in places.
Property Town Building Cottage Wall

Commemorative plaque Text Wall Memorial Font

·
Registered
247 Posts
Stone buildings do last for centuries until someone repoints them with a strong cement mortar. I might have to do this one which has been done with a raised ribbon style in OPC mortar.
I'm asking, is this because it's being pointed and the original/conventional mortar that was used would be negatively impacted? If I remember right, some of you have had samples to check and attempt to replicate the composition.

·
Registered
Brickwork
1,126 Posts
I'm asking, is this because it's being pointed and the original/conventional mortar that was used would be negatively impacted? If I remember right, some of you have had samples to check and attempt to replicate the composition.
This is a Listed building, and it's a criminal offense for the owner to alter the building without permission, although the new owner inherits the offense when they buy it.
The original lime mortar will be analysed and the new will be as close as possible to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts